I've start test Houdini 18 and Arnold 6. the first test was simple splines rendering, 250.000 splines instanced 25 times. it loads a 140MB alembic file.

rendered in 6 core Xeon CPU and Nvidia Quadro RTX 5000. (windows 10 pro)

the startup for Arnold GPU is slow, it renders faster, so it seems but for clear up the final image it takes for forever or just dropped /crashed, hard to tell on the GPU. the CPU is quite fast but much slower then GPU if it ever would finish. (adaptive sampling was on)

As soon as Arnold finishes rendering the scene, it stops and do not refresh any more on parameter changes. so far i am not impressed with the Arnold GPU rendering.

here is the same scene Arnold CPU with only direct Lighting. (on my MacBook)

some test with Arnold GPU. it performed much better with just direct lighting.

Edited by schwungsau
  • Like 2

2 minutes render time, left CPU and right GPU with high poly mesh 1.9GB data. (6 core Xeon and Quadro RTX5000)

CPU
queencpu.jpg?w=683

GPU
queen.jpg?w=683

in this cache, the GPU was faster and more stable. its response time on shaders changes not too bad. only sampling changes took 3-4 seconds to respond.
Octane was crashing on this scene while loading the geometry. Blender Cycles needed 4 minutes to load the alembics.

queencpu-1.jpg?w=385queen-1.jpg?w=355

the CPU is much more efficient in cleaning up the final noise than the GPU. the render result is line up on both, but sampling is quite different. it would be impossible to mix CPU and GPU renderings.

In the end, the GPU rendering is a little faster the CPU rendering (once you optimized the render setting.) Optix GPU rendering does not support GPU BVH branching only pure AA samples, that's properly why I am not getting the excepted massive render speedups on the GPU.

Tests in Blender showed CUDA rendering are faster then Optix rendering (with RTX).

Renderman 23 sampling. i am testing the different integrators of Renderman 23 in Houdini. the limit was 2 minutes render time on a 6 core Xeon, one HDRI dome light. Alembic geo 1.7 GB file.

direct lighting

queenprman1_dir.jpg?w=683

Path tracer

queenprman1a.jpg?w=683

pxr unified

queenprman1auni1.jpg?w=683

pxr unified bidirectional

queenprman1auni2.jpg?w=683

pxr bi-directional path guiding

queenprman1auni3.jpg?w=683

pxr vcm

queenprman1avcm.jpg?w=683

the shader settings for pxr unified integrator need to be adjusted to match the look. it took 30 seconds for the first pixel. the interactive responds time is excellent. the clamped highlights come the buggy Houdini 18.0.287, below some scene with Houdini 18.0.237

the dull renderings / images comes from houdini production bug, newer houdini build fix it. 

Edited by schwungsau
  • Like 1

Renderman 23 CPU vs Arnold 6 GPU with 2 minutes time limit.

Renderman 23 CPU

queenprman2.jpg?w=683

Arnold 6 GPU

queen.jpg?w=683

the reflection differences come from normals, Arnold calculates it's on normals, Renderman took the normals from the Geometry. i've tried with Karma but i had issues and crashes with it.

Edited by schwungsau
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

rendered with Arnold in Houdini. I've tried the atmosphere volumes the first time. easy to setup. The render time was quite slow on the volumes, typically for volumes, but much faster then render the screen envr with VDB cloud. I've used a mesh light for inner character illumination.

it's a shame I could not use Arnold 6 GPU, because of its missing atmosphere and meshlight features. Volumes would boost get a huge speed boost with volume raymarching on a GPU. I had to use a denoiser from Affinity Photo in dark areas. with Arnold 6 GPU it does not drop any errors, you have to wait 1-2 minutes if data is loaded to GPU and starts the rendering or not. even a wrong file pass to an Hdri image makes Arnold GPU drop out, you sitting and wait in front of a black screen and don't know if it will render or not.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is womanlight_v03.jpg

Edited by schwungsau
  • Thanks 1

I've tested RenderMan with spline rendering. it's much faster compared with baked Geometry. the spline primitives are very good in Renderman.

I've stopped the test with mantra after 10 minutes, it is super slow even with optimized render settings.

houdini1-e1578727603523.jpg?w=1024

the Renderman images rendered for 3:20 on a 6 core Xeon
2.7ghz with pxr pathtracer. 4k resolution

geometry:

twisted_v12_geo.ris1_.0095.jpg?w=1024

splines primitives:

twisted_v13.ris1_.0095.jpg?w=1024

rendering splines directly saves a lot disk space and meshing time. interactive rendering was super responsive.

Octane 2019.2 renderings is very fast, I've used the geo to render it. 2 minutes, as except its lot faster the CPU renderings. the spline rendering in octane does features custom width yet.

twisted_v12_octane.0095.jpg?w=1024

Octane gives physical correct shading out of the box. Renderman the shading is extreme flexible with NPR renderings, which is hard to get in Octane. the IPR responsibility was a little slow with shader tweaks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

test with previs Scene but with Blender realtime Eevee render. 2 million polygons. 10-20 fps on RTX 5000. (live viewport below)

blender_(2).jpg?1578898336
the offline rendering took 3 seconds not sure what is causes, probably loading time

houdini openGL rendering:

houdini.jpg?1578899559

the prman 2-minute rendering for comparison :

queenprman2.jpg

renderman direct lighting 

prmanteest.jpg

nef-v01.jpg?w=1536

Realtime engines are on the rise! I will keep an eye on this!

Edited by schwungsau
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2020-01-13 at 7:16 PM, Iskander said:

Did you test 3Delight?I found it pretty much faster than cpu Arnold/Mantra/Renderman,x10+ on some tasks and it really wonder me..

https://www.3delight.com/
https://discord.gg/MGtJx4q
https://gitlab.com/3Delight/3delight-for-houdini

yeah, I've heard they back from the dead. its looks great so far, currently i can't beat Renderman. plus its beta, I had issues with portrait camera format.

image below is with 3delight, clock in 4:20 min

queenprman1auni1.jpg

Edited by schwungsau
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

testing new Arnold 6.0.3 GPU renderer update on particles

Recent HtoA 5.2.1 made it possible to actually use Arnold6 GPU in Houdini, i tool it on a test ride with particles. (5 million particles). 

the setup is quite simple, pure diffuse shading only AA samples. I've chosen a darker frame to test the sample quality. 

CPU 2 minutes on 6 core Xeon :

cpu_1.png

GPU 1 minute (Nvidia Quadro RTX5000),  same sample count the CPU render above but more little more noise.

gpu_1.png

GPU 1:30 minute, increased the sample to get a noise free render.

gpu_2.png

the Arnold GPU render it getting slowly faster the Arnold CPU in some cases, there is still long road ahead to for the GPU renderer speed to catch up with competition.

Edited by schwungsau
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

testing Arnold 6 in Solaris for lookdev in Solaris. its has really potential and its fun to work with, only a Arnold render HDA is missing. Pixar provide one, but its easy to build a renderROP HDA. 

the scene was running on my Thinkpad

arnoldcpu-1.jpg

GPU renderspeed comparsion with indigorender

comparsion2.jpg?w=1298

close up with indigorenderer
arnoldgpu.jpg

Edited by schwungsau

• 3 months later...

its older but thats a hypercube with glass shader in arnold with fake caustics, its quite fast. (6 minutes)

5thcube_v002a-2.jpg

5thcube_v001.jpg

same cube with physical correct light simulation in Indigorender, true caustics. it renders in 2 hours, but at least 10 faster than any path tracer (CPU or GPU) without fake.

5thdemension_v003b-1.jpg

• 5 months later...