Cook frame per thread

Hey guys,

I have to cache a heavy uv transfer on a geometry over 240 frames and the uv transfer seems to be using not all cores, so I was wondering if it was possible to cache multiple frames at a time by distributing them on different cores. I've been looking for this in the doc and over odforce but I didn't find anything interesting. Is there a way to do it in Houdini or do I have to setup a script that launches multiples Houdini instances and run over different frame ranges (like one instance is cooking 1-60, another 61-120 etc...) ?

Cheers,

1 hour ago, Atom said:

Isn't that what TOPs is a about? Distributes single core process across frames.

Yes I tried with tops but it's the first time I use it and I'm not really into it, so I'm sure of what I have to do to make it work. What I tried give me the same result as caching with a file cache, frame per frame.

2 minutes ago, Skybar said:

Depending on what you are doing and how your geo looks like, you can also abuse compiled foreach loops to multithread otherwise single-threaded stuff.

I haven't tried but I think that the labs uv transfer couldn't be compiled, but I'm going to give it a try now !

Okay so finally I just forgot to check one option in the local scheduler of the top. I used a rop geo with 12 cores enabled and now it's working at a tremendous speed ! I need to use tops more often ! You were right Atom !

Cheers, 

• Like 1