Convert curve to mesh overlapping mesh

Rival Consoles

Hello fellas,

I have been trying to create a simple shape using the curve sop and then the intention is to convert to mesh, extrude it and use the ray sop. However, once I convert the curve to mesh, some of the polys on the new mesh overlap each other. I have been trying so many ways to solve this but so far I haven't succeeded. Attached are the images showing what i'm seeing here.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Curve.thumb.PNG.c76f8db71a305771e88d4b593b6cc97f.PNG

Convert_Curve_to Mesh.PNG

Edited by Rival Consoles

not sure what you are using for converting curve to mesh, but this should work:

Curve SOP -> Resample SOP -> Remesh SOP 

you can also link resample Length to Remesh Target Size to have equal edge lengths if you want

Hi @Librarian, thanks for that. I tried that as well but i get jagged edges on the side polys when I extrude the mesh. The nice thing about converting curves to meshes is that it gives a nice and clean quad topology. I guess a possible solution would be through editing the curves first, creating V crvs and then U crvs separately and then go from there. I'm trying to understand why is this happening in such a simple curve shape and what would be a solution to have clean quads out of it.

Modelling by hand would be very simple but still, i imagine that Houdini can handle that.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a solution based on PolyExpand 2D. The secret is to give the initial curve a shrinked version of itself.

The rest is just plumbing

The shrinked face (inside of top face at the end) will be ugly after the subdivision, but I guess it can be fixed by removing its shared edges if it's important downstream.

odforce.png.e59ec106a01a8216b41c78d3b6fb6900.png

odforce.subdiv.hipnc

Edited by AntoineSfx