Offer: od[force] will host tutorial movies

Jason

Hi all,

I think that the movies that Peter Bowmar / Side Effects have been doing have been incredible. The response has been great.. So od[force] will come to the party and host any tutorial movies out there that people care to make.

An excellent tool for creating such movies is Camtasia, which has a free evaluation version. This is the same software that Peter used in creating his movies. If anyone ever want to create a quick tutorial on any aspect of houdini, I think it'd be great.

Even if it's video only.. I know I don't even own a microphone. :) A picture is worth a thousand words.

I'd love to see some nice quick 2 minute movies on, say:

*)Bevelling and chamfering in Houdini

*)Using the Construction Plane

*)Sub-Division techniques

*)Character binding

I am considering doing a couple myself, but mine would be effects oriented, like Particles stuff or Image3d and so on.

What does everyone think of this idea?

Jason.

I *might be* able to handle character modeling and binding, however, I think it might be easier for me to write up a tutorial (with an accompanying HIP file) for it. But I'll think about the video aspect of it. Hopefully I'll have character modeling and binding tutorial ready by September.

I am currently almost done with Houdini/RenderMan tutorial that's geared toward students and newer users. However, I am still trying to iron out some problem (with the help of Side Effects) dealing with importing custom *.ds file on a per-user basis instead of putting everything into $HFS directories. (Anyone here has any advice about this please feel free to IM or PM me. Thanks!)

Jason You are guru in houdini so you should do the tuts about :

*Using Pops with dynamics, pops as a fluid

*Animaing with CHOPs, expression, tricks

*L-system tricks for eg. scene in the beging of Fight Club, human brain

For me the houdini docs are awful, the tuts are simple, help inside tiles are incomplet. Only demo files are great but not aswer on every question.

Hi Jason,

I think that would be a great idea, even for people like myself that don't yet have the software. We could get some insight into the UI and perhaps get the gist of some of the workflow invloved.

Camtasia is great. I've been receiving cds from 3d Buzz and that's what he uses to create the movies, though he also uses some proprietary software that allows him to add hours worth of instruction with excellent image quality.

Movie tutorials seem to be the trend today and anyone can produce them. It's a great time to learn and not have to worry about spending boatloads of money on traditional methods of learning.

By the way! I don't mean to rush you or anything, I just wanted to ask you

whether you're going to write the "displacement" part of your "shader-writing in vmantra"

tutorial any soon?

Ooh - I totally forgot about that one. Hmm.. 5.5 is just around the corner, which'll help this all out incredibly, but a few words on the theory can't hurt, can it?

I'll look into it again:)

Cheers,

J

5.5 is just around the corner, which'll help this all out incredibly

Maaan! I just got used to "vcc" command in 4.1 and I've only had a peek at 5.0 when I found out that they've already changed it to something else in this release! Now 5.5 will bring some more suprises!?

This is frustrating!

Anybody knows where to find infotmation on what has been changed in GNU tools?

Maaan! I just got used to "vcc" command in 4.1 and I've only had a peek at 5.0 when I found out that they've already changed it to something else in this release! Now 5.5 will bring some more suprises!?

This is frustrating!

Anybody knows where to find infotmation on what has been changed in GNU tools?

Never mind that!

The paths were incorrect :rolleyes:

There is a large, very complete document that SESI will distrubute with 5.5 which outline all the compatability issues between 5 and 5.5

There is so much info in them, it's almost a manual.:) Good bed-time reading.

Hi, my first post at last.

A few weeks ago I did a rather long (25min) CHOPS and bones tutorial and was thinking to send mail to Jason about the possibility of hosting it at odforce. And now this topic! so I guess there's nothing that can stop me from asking... Jason, how do I make it available to you?

PS. I got a friend that can make a RealMedia file out of it, so that's the preferred, most compatible format isn't it?

I would say... make the realmedia video and see how big it is. Depending on the size would depend on how you'd get it to us :).

It may be too big to email, so we'd need to find another way (ftp probably).

Cheers

Marc

:ph34r:

Hi, the RealMedia is done. Got to make it into less than 23 Megabytes.

It's split it into pieces and placed it in my webspace.

chop_tail.vol.aa

chop_tail.vol.ab

chop_tail.vol.ac

chop_tail.vol.ad

chop_tail.vol.ae

To put it back togheter cat does the job here...

cat chop_tail.vol.* > chop_tail.rm

Marc, Jason, post a reply if you can when you got it and i'll delete them (I'm very tight in web space).

Regards

Miguel

I'm very happy to hear you like it. Still I hope everyone can understand my crappy englsh :blink:

btw, it's miguel mendez. "menendez" is like my third name. But it's no problem, even here in spain i'm always called in every combination of them you can imagine, so whatever you name it, it's ok :)

• 5 months later...

Where is this tutorial actually posted in the tutorial section? I can't seem to find it? I'm also trying to find the multi-pass rendering video but can't find it. Help? :) I can't figure out how to render out a shadow map. :) ... er I think I meant depth map? I'm trying to use the radiant_bis shader so that I don't get all the crappy artifacts.