Anybody else having a weird year? had 10 cancelled projects in 1 month

Hi magicians,

Wanted to check if this is happening to somebody else, I was lucky enough to have a constant workload for over 8 years in my career, but at the end of 2023 I had my first hole, not too much, 1 or 2 weeks.

This year, on May, 10 studios reached out, all of them either cancelled or stopped answering, all are major studios and I had a great relationship with half of them, so a bit surprised about his non professionalism, at least you could tell the job is solved or whatever, but not giving any answer and left you waiting?

I posted this something similar on a instagram story, for my surprise, around 30 colleages are in the same situation, some of them are very well known Senior artists.

From what I spoke and read in some forums, seems that there is less budget, ton of "tutorial artists" being hired, or some cheaper people overseas. Possibly the Strike and AI is also affecting.

Anybody else having a weird year? its been a month without work and I'm starting to worry.

@Librarian I don't want to give studio names for respect, but all of them are well known on the industry, some of them AAA, as for continents, worldwide, half from USA, half from Europe.

Did you experienced less work this year?

@caskal

Though my expertise lies within CNC industry design and not within this particular field, I can offer some insights based on broader principles. As responsible adults, especially those with dependents, it is crucial to prioritize clarity and transparency. Given the context mentioned in your initial posts, where this situation is unprecedented, and considering your existing contacts with some of the studios, it would be prudent to address the issue directly with them.

I recommend reaching out to these contacts immediately to discuss the matter. This direct approach aligns with a straightforward philosophy of addressing potential concerns promptly and effectively, rather than speculating or delaying action. Proactively engaging with the studios can help resolve the issue and provide clarity, ensuring all parties are informed and any misunderstandings are addressed.

Who Moved My Cheese?

It's not a weird year for me, but it is slow. It's not AI that's taking your job, it's your kid.

To quote Shriekback..."We are the pretty boys, so critical to employ..."

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the bigger picture... industry is fucked, with massive layoffs at all major studios in Hollywood and Canada, and a bunch of project cancellations (as a result of a strike, AI, and other factors).
The same situation happens with the economy in general (layoffs in FAANG  for example), cost reduction now is a main priority in many companies. So it is not a surprise that the job market for VFX artists is terrible. A couple of years ago I had a bunch of requests on LinkedIn to apply to different roles in IT, HR was hunting developers, and now there are barely any real job postings.

And the Sora was not released yet.

Edited by kiryha

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2024 at 7:20 PM, caskal said:

Hi magicians,

Wanted to check if this is happening to somebody else, I was lucky enough to have a constant workload for over 8 years in my career, but at the end of 2023 I had my first hole, not too much, 1 or 2 weeks.

This year, on May, 10 studios reached out, all of them either cancelled or stopped answering, all are major studios and I had a great relationship with half of them, so a bit surprised about his non professionalism, at least you could tell the job is solved or whatever, but not giving any answer and left you waiting?

I posted this something similar on a instagram story, for my surprise, around 30 colleages are in the same situation, some of them are very well known Senior artists.

From what I spoke and read in some forums, seems that there is less budget, ton of "tutorial artists" being hired, or some cheaper people overseas. Possibly the Strike and AI is also affecting. dollar tree.pro

Anybody else having a weird year? its been a month without work and I'm starting to worry.

Many professionals, including senior artists, are facing job cancellations and unresponsiveness from studios, possibly due to budget constraints, increased competition from tutorial artists and cheaper overseas labor, and broader economic impacts like strikes and AI integration in the industry.

Edited by RoseCliver

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Hang in there. Hopefully, things will turn around soon, and more opportunities will come your way. In the meantime, staying connected with your network and exploring other avenues might help navigate this rough patch.

Thanks