Mechanical Crawler Thingy

exel

Constrained to the triangle point geometry with either a rivet object or a null with vtorigin() expressions with nested point() expressions:

Rivet is easier and seems to be better at avoiding recursion issues as you would get in the third chain bone (chain_bonoe5 and 6) constrained to the first bone chain. See the attached file.

jason_crawler_rig_attempt.hip

@rdg:

jason has some fancy tricks... :)

He knows his point() well?

After a chicken soup I'd guessed for a point expression - like jeff posted. (<-- oops - no point :D )

Thanks for this file btw.

But never question a magicians tricks :)

Georg

Edited by rdg

He knows his point() well?

After a chicken soup I'd guessed for a point expression - like jeff posted. (<-- oops - no point :D )

Thanks for this file btw.

But never question a magicians tricks :)

Georg

awwww ok hang on you guys, I'll clean up my .hip file and post it here soon... Jeff it's even simpler than that, but thanks for posting that .hip file!... I didnt use any rivets or anything, it was all just single-bone and two-bone IK chains ... I actually made a little HDA for the "leg" rig and then just started copying it and flipping it. A time-based expression drives the whole thing (as you can see from Jeff's example). I'll try and post a file of my own soon, but Jeff pretty much covered it :) The only extra thing is that I decided to feed the whole contraption into DOPs as a single object and let it propel itself across the floor grid using collisions and friction :)

-JS-

Edited by exel

Ok, it took me a while but here's a somewhat cleaned-up version of my crawler scene, this includes:

--an embedded HDA for the individual crawler leg

--the rig assembly with all the leg copies

--the DOPnet I used to sim the crawler rig on the ground plane

--an example of applying the simulation to my high-res "beauty" geometry.

Enjoy!

-JS-

JS_crawler.hipnc

post-40-1193349669_thumb.jpg