happy 3D or sad 3D??

Hey guys, just a simple survey. How many years you working in this industrial, and still keeping the strong interest & feeling happy.

What I feel from my supervisor is, always no-good, always changing, unhappy.

just wondering is this the real 3D work enviroment? what is your working enviroment like? do you still keep the same feeling as you started

this career?

happy 3D or sad 3D?

love to share..~

Ming

Happy for me, on the average. As long as I keep running into challenges and have time outside of work to relax everything should be cool.

There's also lots of different types of 3d work, different industries (Film, Tv, Games, etc...). And in each industry there's lot of different job titles. AND job descriptions vary from company to company.

I say there's mostly happy people and mostly sad people regardless of their job and position in life, wealth or fame.

The sad millionair actor who commits suicide at 25 vs. the happy tramp who's never owned much of anything touring around the country at 65...

I'm pretty sure your supervisor's attitude has nothing to do with the job. That's just who he is.

like any job, working in this industry (film, tv, games etc) is a JOB. and like any job your happiness (satisfaction, fulfillment etc) is entirely dependent on who you are, and what your expectations are...

if you come to 3D as an artist hoping to explore your artistic visions in a free form, collaborative environment with like minded people...then you're in for a shock...this is an industry, money (huge amounts of money) is invested in projects with the primary expectation that these projects will be financially successful, to that end - no one gives two shits about art or how you feel about anything (this might seem a bit extreme bit it's true).

however...if you're able to accept that you are part of a much larger machine and can find satisfaction in smaller achievements then you can be as happy as anyone else who has to work for a living....

the people you work with are also a major factor...I'm pretty lucky in that many people I work with are now some of my closest friends, so working with them is much easier...any conflicts or disagreements are worked out without resentment and then we go to the pub :)

on thing that I find difficult is working on projects that are really shitty (IMO)...I sometimes have to struggle to find something about what I'm doing that interests me and not worry about the bigger picture...

Well, my current sup is pretty upbeat! winkwink Jason.

I know exactly what your talking about though. I've seen this in music, broadcast, and many other areas. I honestly have no idea why some people work in these fields if it makes them so unhappy. They might even think this bitterness is a mark of experience .. personally, I think it's a mark of immaturity and burnout.

The fact is that in "normal" jobs (yes I've had a few, teaching, marketing, etc) .. this is NOT as big of a problem. It may be in many parts due to the individual, but I also think it's part of the unfortunate fact that big egos, intense personalities, and a hot head tend to carry people farther than they normally would in other feilds. In "normal" jobs certain personality traits might get that person fired, in these feilds, it might get them promoted to be your sup.

The way I typically handle these types is to try to try to pick up on something they like early on, and then once the idea is farther along make it appear that it's their idea. Meanwhile I'm looking for other jobs. There's really no excuse for someone to stick with a manager like that, I've learned this the hard way.

Hey guys, just a simple survey. How many years you working in this industrial, and still keeping the strong interest & feeling happy.

What I feel from my supervisor is, always no-good, always changing, unhappy.

just wondering is this the real 3D work enviroment? what is your working enviroment like? do you still keep the same feeling as you started

this career?

happy 3D or sad 3D?

love to share..~

Ming

21 years in this business have worked in Vertigo, Wavefront, Prisms, Flame, Max, Maya, and of course Houdini.

Very happy, but this business is a coaster ride on the commercial and feature end. Best thing to do is remember that as a creative artist you have to find balance between work and your life to stay creative. I think most of us disagree and defy this notion until we hid our mid thirties and burnout starts to take hold. My two cents from being burned-out and coming back on the other side is to maintain a balance. There's always going to be those crazy times when long hours are demanded, but don't let every day become a crazy day. (I am also very lucky to be surrounded by a team of happy like-minded people.)

best of luck to you,

-david

I've only had 6 really terrible months in a bizarre and varied career of over 20 years.

I agree it depends a lot on who you are and what you want/expect. For me, mixing things up every few years keeps me motivated, slight scared of failure and generally happy as I learn new things.

Cheers,

Peter B

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love to draw! and Play the guitar! and Im really happy when i do that, but 3D took all of it from me these days.... witch is sad.

Just work work working all the time, witch currently Im not even working. I am studying Houdini! after 2 years of production.

and even at school its hard! the fact that you are inside of the computer all day is not good for your health!

But i found it addicting and challenging and when you see good results you are happy!

3D can be an art or can be a boring job! its just depend where you will take it.

r

• 2 weeks later...

I am relatively young in this industry (around 3 years?) and my experience shows that my satisfaction from my job greatly depends on your age, life priorities, your mind set, the changes and challenges that you face, balance between job and personal life, labor conditions, your collegues, sups and management, abuse of drugs and alcohol...

I had about a year of outburning ~100hours per week, tedious, no satisfaction, no overtime compensation work experience in the begining of my career (which was actually cool, since I was young, naive, trusted in clients and had plenty of energy)... I took a long holiday, changed the employer, changed the country, and now I am enjoying a radical difference in satisfaction from my job (for good).

So - yes and no. It can be boring and happy CG. Many factors affect that.

And I second Lucavfx (and Confucius): "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

Cheers,

Vlad