Belgian Houdini artists ?

br1

Hi everyone.

As I'm currently learning Houdini and as I find the learning curve greatly smoothed when you have someone near you to interact with, ask questions, get answers, have a beer, etc... I was wondering if by any chance there are a few artists around that would be glad to meet and discuss that great piece of software.

Maybe there's already something like a "H-BUG" (Houdini-Belgian User Group) that I'm not aware of.

Thanks for your time

Bruno

Is there NO ONE else ? Ah Belgium is a small country...

Well I'll guess I'll stick to the forums then ! (-drinks a digital beer-).

Same with Denmark. No one uses the software.

So therefor I have convinced my college to learn it. Dont we all hate to be alone.

He is a Shake-artist and he find the nodebased workflow appealing :-) So now I have

a Houdini-friend.

But if you come around Copenhagen Ill give a beer and a Houdini-talk for sure

Erik

duckling VFX

Edited by Ezz

Same with Denmark. No one uses the software.

So therefor I have convinced my college to learn it. Dont we all hate to be alone.

He is a Shake-artist and he find the nodebased workflow appealing :-) So now I have

a Houdini-friend.

But if you come around Copenhagen Ill give a beer and a Houdini-talk for sure

Erik

duckling VFX

You're a lucky guy to have a node-based brain close to you. My colleagues use 3DSMAX and are happy with it... They don't even want to give a try at Houdini, they just come and watch my screen saying -jeez how did you do that- while I'm playing with a copy node ...

I'm so much in love with nodes !! Coming from Maya and compositing with Fusion, Houdini is the logical "next step" for me.

Andz -> :coffee1: with sugar for me plz !

Hi Bruno,

I'm originally from Belgium (from Ghent), but I moved to the Uk to study at Bournemouth University (Going to graduate from an MSc in computer animation and visual effects in November). I think your closest bet to finding other houdini users nearby is Amsterdam. (Or London, because with the Eurostar it only really takes you two hours from Brussels).

You might want to have a check with some people on the Digital Arts & Games course in Kortrijk. That's about the only place I seem to remember shining a bit of a brighter light on 3d in Belgium - besides the post production facilities - but they are all Maya, Lightwave or Max based :( .

There were a few other Dutch/Belgian guys here over the past years, but very few seem to have the intention of going back to Belgium. There is nobody that I know off that can teach you houdini in Belgium, and there are only few places where you can learn Maya so I highly recommend you at becoming comfortable learning things on your own :). But yeah, if it were three years ago I would have definitely met up with you :).

Perhaps that is still possible, but might be in a different country :). Either way, hope to see you around a lot on the forum!

regards,

Peter Claes

Ps: out of curiosity, which lucky company are you working for that you managed to sneak houdini in the door :)?

Edited by pclaes

Same story in slovenia, me and zoki are only serious users here, but i dont think zoki did any 3d recently. I try to influence people on local forum with varying success but people are way too hooked on ready-made solutions, 3dsmax in particular. I guess it is time to pack my toothbrush and demo-reel and go abroad :rolleyes:

Hi Bruno,

I'm originally from Belgium (from Ghent), but I moved to the Uk to study at Bournemouth University (Going to graduate from an MSc in computer animation and visual effects in November). I think your closest bet to finding other houdini users nearby is Amsterdam. (Or London, because with the Eurostar it only really takes you two hours from Brussels).

You might want to have a check with some people on the Digital Arts & Games course in Kortrijk. That's about the only place I seem to remember shining a bit of a brighter light on 3d in Belgium - besides the post production facilities - but they are all Maya, Lightwave or Max based :( .

There were a few other Dutch/Belgian guys here over the past years, but very few seem to have the intention of going back to Belgium. There is nobody that I know off that can teach you houdini in Belgium, and there are only few places where you can learn Maya so I highly recommend you at becoming comfortable learning things on your own :). But yeah, if it were three years ago I would have definitely met up with you :).

Perhaps that is still possible, but might be in a different country :). Either way, hope to see you around a lot on the forum!

regards,

Peter Claes

Ps: out of curiosity, which lucky company are you working for that you managed to sneak houdini in the door :)?

Hi Peter !

Nice to get some feedback from you, I bought the 3Dbuzz DvD on technical effects a few months ago. It would be great if you had a chance to make a few more !

To be honest I didn't get any company to actually buy Houdini, I just bought the apprentice edition for myself, hoping to learn it and maybe later have an opportunity to work with a commercial version (keeps dreaming).

Belgium seems to be evolving on the 3D market, still far away from the other countries, but I've been in touch with a few people working on full 3D films and had a chance to be on a few projects that are not advertising or game jobs. Some french companies are also starting to implement offices in Belgium, mainly due to the advantages that tax shelters offer.

So at the moment I'm still working with Maya (which I know quite well having worked for Alias a few years ago), it keeps to money coming to my pockets, but I felt in love with node-based workflow a long time ago and Houdini seems to excell in that domain.. and opening H9 in the evening after a long day on Maya brings a fresh breeze of air !

About Belgium -> I'm not leaving the country, my wife has around 25 horses to keep fit and it won't be easy to bring them in another country !

cheers,

Bruno

• 12 years later...

Hi @BR1,

I am bit in the same situation 12 years later :-) Been staring at a few simple things way too long now... has the Belgian Houdini scene grown in the mean time?
I am also looking for someone in Antwerp to help me out from time to time. 

Thanks,
Rizon

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 28-10-2021 at 10:32 AM, forton said:

Hey Bruno,

I'm Belgian, from Tienen (where the sugar cubes are made), ex-softimage user, I use Houdini for all my 3D work, my reel and info is on www.wimforton.be.

Hey Wim,

Long time no see! How are you doing?