video cards??

TheAdmira1

ive been using a Asus 4870X2... the thing is an animal, but houdini/ati/ubuntu apparently all hate each other... Houdini will not open for me unless i use the ghetto driver for my card, then view-port is impossible and reading any of the print is beyond pointless... so I am here to ask... what is the BEST card out there for using 3-d software, specifically Houdini... thanks in advance guys!

ive been using a Asus 4870X2... the thing is an animal, but houdini/ati/ubuntu apparently all hate each other... Houdini will not open for me unless i use the ghetto driver for my card, then view-port is impossible and reading any of the print is beyond pointless... so I am here to ask... what is the BEST card out there for using 3-d software, specifically Houdini... thanks in advance guys!

I am using nvidia quadro and it works fine.

Sadly, ATI just doesn't cut it when it comes to OpenGL drivers. By ghetto drivers, you mean the Phoronix ATI drivers? I've always used Nvidia cards though had a laptop with ATI once & just had to go back to Nvidia.

Good luck!

Cheers!

steven

Edit: I edited the Topic title to fix a typo (vidoe) so it will show up in searches for other users.

anyone on here using a GTX 200 series?? or a GeForce 9000 series? any feedback? I made the mistake of talking to gamers when making my system... so its fast as hell... but the ATi version of openGl just doesn't like me apparently (as digitallyinsane and steveong said)... figured asking people who are using it for the same application I am would fit my needs alot better...

anyone on here using a GTX 200 series?? or a GeForce 9000 series? any feedback? I made the mistake of talking to gamers when making my system... so its fast as hell... but the ATi version of openGl just doesn't like me apparently (as digitallyinsane and steveong said)... figured asking people who are using it for the same application I am would fit my needs alot better...

GTX 260 Working fine on my system. Houdini Starving Ed. :P

• 1 month later...