Lucas Starts Animation Division

michael

From LA TIMES: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-luca...1,1903804.story

Lucas Starts Animation Division

The operation will give him the ability to create full-length cartoons generated by computer.

By Claudia Eller

Times Staff Writer

May 12, 2003

After years of fits and starts, George Lucas has quietly launched a new unit

I, personally, hope that they WILL crap out!

Nothing personal.

The man just can't forgive himself for selling Pixar and

simply wants a piece of the cake for himself.

I don't expect he will produce anything good. After all,

what can you expect from a film director who is living in the past and

got hung up on his own work(which is total bullcrap. I agree with you plan9.)

The question is... why would wee need another blockboster produser.

Haven't we got enough by now?

I want to see something good. Like a Miazaki. Or Narshtein.

Something that somebody put his hart in to it. Not just money.

If you havent seen onything of Narshtein, I recommend.

Having said that I just want to add one more thing.

I'm looking forward to those times when computer technologies will evolve

to the extent when there will be no need in big team and a ton of money

to create a cartoon. Than, one or two man together wold be able to produce a full lenghth cartoon and we would see lots of great stuff,

and without some cartoon mafia trying to shape anyway poorly developed mind of an average American.

I, personally, hope that they WILL crap out!

That's pretty harsh. I doubt he's trying to make up for selling pixar since he sold them almost 20 years ago. He would've surely done something before now if that was his plan.

As for the rest, while it can be argued that Lucas is a suck ass director, I doubt he'll actually be directing all of the cg projects this new division does. Especially since he's already said that he's out of directing big things after this next Star Wars film (thank goodness).

So I'm sure we all agree that ILM is among the finest cg facilities in the world, and I'm fairly certain that they'll do a great job.

As long as they stay away from shitty scripts then they'll do fine.

And besides, the more people doing cg films the more work for us. So I'm certainly not complaining.

why would wee need another blockboster produser.

Haven't we got enough by now?

Nope, never enough :)

I dunno, I think this might be a good thing. Pretty much all CG features right now are family pictures, right? And I guess that makes sense, since they cost so friggin much to make. You want to have the largest audience possible, and kids are great customers (especially for toy sales, etc.). Final Fantasy didn't have much of an audience, and that showed us that a single picture can make or break a company. I've got a feeling that Lucas will make movies that are a little more adult, yet with general appeal.

By the way, did anyone see Samurai Jack this weekend? Episode where he gets stuck in a house with a demon that won't let him out, and his soul gets sucked into the demon, and they fight in this strange void.... anyway, I thought it kicked ass, felt that it was waaaaaaay better than watching Matrix Reloaded, and I hope they make a kick ass movie one day. Problem is, it's another cartoon network production, meaning low budget, and not a lot of revenues. Did anyone see the powerpuff girls movie? That one actually kicked ass, but some of it just looked really bad. And that's saying a lot, considering how simple the animation style is to begin with! Most of it looked ok, but you could just tell it was super low budget. But a well done Samurai Jack could, in my oppinion, do just as well as the matrix, if they play their cards right.

-Jens