So, this is the best I could do back in the 1990's. :bag:

Software used:

3D Studio R2 & R3 (DOS)

Softimage (SGI)

Elastic Reality (Mac)

Eddie (SGI)

Toonz (SGI)

Good old days, sleepless nights.

Anyone else brave enough to post an old work? :-)

Those are full res images that only took about 4 hours to render on a 386 I think (maybe a 286?).

4 hours was not bad for a raytraced image, I remember leaving some povray 640x480 stills over night in 1993. :rolleyes:

I got my 386 16MHz in 1990, so I'd think that back in 88 you had a 286?

Thanks for the post guys!

Edited by Andz

The banana is from ‎October-‎22-‎00... so I would have been 16 at the time. I'd never heard of photoshop at the time, but we had some software that came with our scanner. It was meant for getting rid of red eye or small touchups. I did a banana using the lasso tool and some gradients. It was the first time I'd done anything outside of MS Paint.

The knight was done in a program... again I don't know the name... that didn't allow you to create polygons... it came with a bunch of pre-made shapes which were supposed to be used to make airplanes. So.... he's made pretty much out of scaled wings and stuff. January-‎08-‎01 My first attempt at 3D.

post-1288-1247878648_thumb.jpg

post-1288-1247878691_thumb.jpg

Does anyone have a good link to info on obscure amiga file formats? I have stuff created in imagine 3d, Art Director Pro, deluxe paint, and a whole sequence I would love to convert that is written in some mjpeg format for an external box (dfilm, or dtv, or something like that)

I would be happy to embarrass myself in exchange for help, this stuff is from 1992 so you know you want to see it.

MD

I was about 5 years old in 1990 :) .

Some of the earliest stuff I did was when I was around 16 for my geography teacher, around 2000, that was in 3dsmax R2.5 or R3 - I don't remember:

http://users.telenet.be/aardrijkskunde-ict/platentektoniek/oc-oc-uiteengaan.htm

http://users.telenet.be/aardrijkskunde-ict/platentektoniek/oc-co.htm

I got into 3d because of images like this that were coming out around that time and I wanted to make my own:

http://c2.api.ning.com/files/tEmXIdh1O3vAjzlPZSaEsWWNpyyajWIeTv6Ny0iwD94eRuOAFOKrFDPzA0WRIhOdXfqwV0C-MPsfS6hou3mR7EnKfwNGS4Vb/sweeet_fatrix_1024.jpg

I've also still got some stuff of 2000-2002 on my old website:

http://www.peterclaes.be/OLD/3d_2002.html

Unfortunately I don't have the digital images anymore...here is some printed stuff I did around 1995, mainly party flyers and stuff like that...I wish I had the art I did with Deluxe Paint on my Amiga when I was 13...dreaming...I worked with 3D Studio DOS, Vista Pro, Autodesk Animator Pro, Aldus Photostyler, Corel Draw...on a 486 DX2 66 MHz 4 MB Ram. :-)

post-3615-124896891913_thumb.jpg

1994...a test print for a party flyer I rescued from trash, the sign was made with 3ds and a tool I don't remember the name...

post-3615-124896895725_thumb.jpg

1995...background was made with vista pro and 3ds

post-3615-12489690839_thumb.jpg

1995...done with vista pro

post-3615-124896913308_thumb.jpg

1996...another party flyer, logo and background was done in 3ds...I remember rotating the vertices of the spiral did take a very long time! ;-)

calix