od[force] challenge 2010
(Re)Create Retro Sci Fi Art
This challenge asks you to create sci fi art in the style of the mid 20th century book and magazine covers using Houdini procedural tools. Model a scene and bring it to life with fluids and other tools in Houdini.
Links for inspiration:
- Dark Roasted Blend: Rare & Beautiful Vintage Visions of the Future
- Google Books: Popular Sience
- Sci-Fi-O-Rama: John Polgreen
- Pink Tentacle: Sci-fi illustrations by Shigeru Komatsuzaki
- Cinemacom: 80 Great Posters of Not So Great & Even Worse Sci-Fi Movies
- Google Images: Modern Mechanix
- Still images and animations are allowed.
- Participants have to provide their HIP-file to prove procedural work flow in modeling.
- 3rd party tools for colors and surface are allowed (Photoshop, ZBrush, Mudbox, Body Paint, Topogun).
- The winner will get his/her prize direct from Side Effects Software.
- The license must go directly to the winner - they cannot transfer ownership or sell their license.
- Employees of SESI are not eligible to participate in this challenge.
- Marc Horsfield (od[force] Ninja, VFX TD)
- Marketing Team Side Effects (Side Effects Software, Toronto)
- Peter Bowmar (CIS Vancouver)
Deadline: 30. November 2010
The winner will be announced at the 15th of December 2010.
Entries which contain obscene content and/or copyright infringements will be disqualified.