Forum upgrade

Marc

33 minutes ago, goldleaf said:

Looks like the code syntax highlighting didn't come over from the test forum...

Thanks Marc!

darn, I copied the right file across. I'll take a look, thanks.

M

Thanks for the board update Marc,

Here is what I see missing from the old board:

• Download/View count on attachments. (It was nice to know that someone had pulled down my file).
  • Also there used to be a page/comment # in the upper right corner of a post. I would copy that link when cross linking a thread relevant to a similar topic. This seems to be missing in the new design.

6 minutes ago, Atom said:

Thanks for the board update Marc,

Here is what I see missing from the old board:

• Download/View count on attachments. (It was nice to know that someone had pulled down my file).
  • Also there used to be a page/comment # in the upper right corner of a post. I would copy that link when cross linking a thread relevant to a similar topic. This seems to be missing in the new design.

You can click the "posted X minutes ago" above the post, you get:

http://forums.odforce.net/topic/25713-forum-upgrade/?do=findComment&comment=149493

Which can be displayed like:

edit: Also the triangular line with 3 points in the upper right corner does the same thing actually.

Edited by Skybar

32 minutes ago, McNistor said:

White font for the page numbers when in a sub-forum is

Fixed

49 minutes ago, Atom said:

Download/View count on attachments. (It was nice to know that someone had pulled down my file).

They took away that functionality, however there is a plugin which restores it. I'll get it in as soon as I can.

Thanks
M

• Like 1

Nice.

But to my taste there is too much empty space around posts vertically.

I can manage to get only 1 and 1/2 of the posts per screen which isn't enough to read the forum efficiently. It cannot be skimmed quickly.

Same for the topics. There are 3 full pages to scroll to get over all topics (on 24" full hd monitor).

Some tiny stuff: Name is split to two lines.

33 minutes ago, pezetko said:

Nice.

But to my taste there is too much empty space around posts vertically.

I can manage to get only 1 and 1/2 of the posts per screen which isn't enough to read the forum efficiently. It cannot be skimmed quickly.

Same for the topics. There are 3 full pages to scroll to get over all topics (on 24" full hd monitor).

Some tiny stuff: Name is split to two lines.

I'll be tightening up the empty spaces as the days go on :). If you have any specific examples please post a screengrab so I can hit those first. 

The names have always been on two lines. I want to make them 1 line, but I'm not sure how that will affect the current names :). So I'm leaving it for now.

Images attached.

Looks like leading is 2 or even 2.3 and that looks like main reason why it looks so spacey.

Like button, + (MultiQuote) and Quote could be grouped to more compact single (head) line (next to the post's time stamp and Report button) probably best to be right aligned to the Share this post link.

Spacing between post is quite big too. I think single line is good enough separator, but I'm minimalist.

On the front page (topics) it could be single liner (or something between 1 and 1/2 up to 2 liner) instead of 3 liner as it is now. Last access time could be next to the name to make it slimmer or everything on the right side (beginning by the post counter could be moved slightly to the left to fit it all)

forum.PNG

topics.PNG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Atom said:

Download/View count on attachments. (It was nice to know that someone had pulled down my file).

currently you can see it in your username menu in top left corner/ My Attachments

New forum is very good. Hope fine tuning will continue for a while. Some proposals:

1. How about lighter quotes and like/unlike/someone_like buttons? Used a page inspector a bit, to explain it better. See attached image.
  2. Same for code field, but I guess it is more sophisticated task, since it uses dark color scheme. IMO, old colors was more pleasant, although.
  3. One-line name. Just noticed post above. Inserting spaces after colons is still an improvement.

lighten.png

Edited by f1480187

There was a discussion about the code highlighting on the staging forum, but the short version is that we can theme it however we like. The general consensus is that the Sublime Text/Atom colors are pretty popular right now, so we went with that. Having said that, if you find a theme here:

http://daylerees.github.io/

that you like, I'd be happy to try it out on the staging forum (here) to see if it's better.

The names thing, I think I may just kill the current fields and make new ones. Which would mean you all have to enter your names again, but most people ignore it anyway *cough*asd*cough* ;) 

I'll take a look at the like buttons. I didn't mind them so dark, but if everyone feels like they would be better lighter then that's ok too.

M

ok I changed the names. One other question, if you edit your profile there are a bunch of contact methods (AIM, MSN, ICQ, etc.) which are a holdover from the good old days. I assume nobody uses them and so I'm planning on deleting them, but if anyone still uses ICQ, let me know.

M