Forum upgrade

Marc

Cool :). I'm going to tweak the css since it seems a bit obtrusive right now. Also I'd like to put the featured content above it so that it spans the entire width. Otherwise, unless lots of people complain, then I'll leave it up :).

M

Since we got all that empty space under that Recent Topics-box now, maybe make another with New Topics or something? I suppose they are quite the same, but if there are big discussions going on somewhere new topics tend to get buried quite quickly. Maybe it's not needed but just a thought.

edit: And actually, in the Recent Topics, is it possible to show who made the most recent post instead of the one who started the topic?

Edited by Skybar

I was just going to fill it with more ads ;). (sorta not joking)

I'm actually hoping to dig into the code for those things since they seem to have been made by people who don't understand what a forum needs... which is a bit sad since it comes bundled with the software. There are two options at the moment, one is a topics box and the other is a posts box. I think the recent posts one is more along the lines of what people want, but it shows a portion of the post too, so it feels really cluttered. The topics one is recently active topics? I guess? I'll see if I can find the code and hack it to do what we want :)

M

Take a look now. I found a plugin that does both recent topics and posts and is formatted the way I think it should be.

Also I'd like to thank everyone who's donated to the site. It's those that allow me to add things to the forum easily :) 

Yeah I tried.. Still gone. It was there before you wrote that post (and changed something), then it went away at work and it's still gone now at home. Is it just me? Both windows+chrome and now mac+safari.

9 hours ago, Atom said:

So whats up with the new Got It! button at the bottom of the page?

It is kind of annoying and constantly pops up.

I think that's for cookies - once you click it that should be that...are you deleting cookies or using different browsers/platforms?

10 hours ago, Atom said:

So whats up with the new Got It! button at the bottom of the page?

It is kind of annoying and constantly pops up.

Yeah it should only come up once. Since we're now showing ads and have always been using cookies, we sort of have to comply with the new European laws regarding the collection of them. Which is to notify everyone that we're using cookies... just like every other website in the world :)

M

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any chance of a better advanced search?

For instance I want to search for how to make a group using python yet if I just search on 'group' I am going to search the entire site. Being able to target a keyword to a specific sub-forum, such as 'Scripting', would be a nice feature.

The way to do this is to start the search from within the scripting forum and change the search from 'all content' to 'this forum'. If you're in a thread you can limit to searching just that thread too. 

It would be nice to have control over that from the advanced search panel, but we're not given that option sadly. 

aha! I have discovered this thing:

Go to your profile (click on your avatar->top left)
See the big box that says 'Community reputation'
Click it!
There's a list on the left, one of which says 'Posts'. If you click that it will show you a list of all the posts you have liked. 

A little bit obfuscated, but it's there, which is cool.

M