Baphomet - The Icon of Sin

DaJuice

Well, Jason asked to see this, so here it is. :)

If you've ever played through Doom 2, you might recognize this, it's the final boss, but this time in glorious 3d! :D

ioswip.jpg

Jope the pic shows up.

There is still a lot of detail work left to be done, wrinkles, veins, stuff like that.

Peace!

Really cool, great to see modelling done with Houdini.

Would you mind sharing your views on modelling with the new H5 tools, ie: where you think things could be improved, workfow etc..

I'm guessing that is a poly model bar the horns, it would be great to see the lo-res version.

Betty

hey there..

Nice model. I'm especially impressed with the fact that you can see all the teeth :lol: . Those are the worst things to model in my opinion. My only saving grace normally is that my models have lips.

You do a great job though. Well done.

Are you going to do anything with him?

:ph34r:

Thanks for the kind words folks. :)

Couple of shots of the cage.

cage.jpg

cage2.jpg

As you can see it's polygonal, boxmodeled to be specific.

I think the tools are pretty damn good, maybe not quite as fast as working in max, but that's offset by the fact that it's a procedural workflow.

I didn't really think the procedural aspect of Houdini would be much of a benefit when modeling stuff like this, but it comes very much in handy. For example, I needed to make a cut through a dense and convoluted area of the mesh, so I laid down an edit with the prupose of spreading out the verts more cleanly, then did my cut, and just deleted the edit sop.

I don't know how the tools compare to mirai or the meshtools script for max since I've never used them.

I don't know exactly how long exactly it took, but I've been working on this guy for over a month on and off.

And yeah, I've got a few ideas for a scene. ;)

Hi again,

Your model is lovely! Are you paying attention to the UV coordinates? If you have, how are you doing it and can we see a grab of it? If you aren't, are you planning to? Do you plan to texture it using UV or are you planning to use 3d texture coordinates?

Tell all,

The King Tapir.

Jason, I haven't the slightest clue!

I only leared the most basic texture unwrapping for low-poly stuff in max, and I haven't gone through any of the texturing tuts or vids for Houdini.

My texture painting skills are also next to nil.

What would you recommend for this model, UV or 3d texture coordinates?

Thx

Well, texturemapping is an art and a science. If you intend painting small details then you're going to have to create a decent UV map for this. If you intend to use a 3d-coordinates based procedural shader for the bone then you may not need to worry about texture coordinates. Maybe you want to use 3 things here: procedural texture and displacement for the basic aged bone (using 3d coordinates), perhaps some simple tinting of the point colors for large details (using the Paint SOP on the geometry) and then a good UV map for details, scuff marks, and other things not procedural.

I'd recommend you experiment with several methods:

Projection mapping

Unwrapping

Plastic Wrapping

Pelting (using spring SOP to slowly stretch out the coordinates, there is a siggraph paper about it)

And that's for starters.

Remember the goal: to make sure there is decent coverage of the entire model without texture stretching or compression, while still somehow keeping the coordinates in an intuitive form so that it'd be easy to paint on in a dedicated paint program. All these are important..

Cheers,

Jason

QUOTE (DaJuice @ Jun 30 2002, 11:01 PM)
I didn't really think the procedural aspect of Houdini would be much of a benefit when modeling stuff like this, but it comes very much in handy. For example, I needed to make a cut through a dense and convoluted area of the mesh, so I laid down an edit with the prupose of spreading out the verts more cleanly, then did my cut, and just deleted the edit sop.

Actually, I never considered this method of using procedural techniques to model with. I think it's pretty clever actually. It'd be great to develop a couple of other techniques along this line - like lay stuff out in UV space, do your cuts, delete the layout. Or dilate a troublesome dense area to see topology before you cut it. It'd be nice to develop some scripted subnets to help with this stuff.

Any ideas out there?

Jasonnnn.

• 2 months later...

Yus! Looks pretty good. One thing I don't like are the eyes. Since I think they don't match up too well with the rest of the head. Make them a little less "crisp", more organical :)

Anyways, keep up the great work!