Is it possible to make something like Picture in Houdini? Must I use DOP or Particles for simulation?

Thank you!

picture.jpg

This looks very similar to mangetic fields with a little bit of added swirl on top of one pole. Take a look at Alessandro Pepe's blog about magnetic vector fields. He goes through a lot of the math behind them, and it should give you some ideas for different ways you could tackle this.

• Like 1

@Atom Thank you Atom! I will have look at your link.

@Gavin Thank you Gavin! I think you are right. It is similar to magnetic vector field. Will look at blog you mentioned.

I have been trying to extend this concept by calculating a wire radius attribute for each primitive strand. I want to follow this up with a polywire and have the radius decrease along the length of the each strand.

I think my code is close, but instead of decreasing along the length of each strand it decreases each strand. Can someone take a look at my code and tell me what I am doing wrong?

The primpoints() function is supposed to return the points in the order that they exist along the curve.

Untitled-1.jpg

ap_petz_field_lines.hipnc

Edited by Atom

47 minutes ago, Atom said:

I have been trying to extend this concept by calculating a wire radius attribute for each primitive strand. I want to follow this up with a polywire and have the radius decrease along the length of the each strand.

I think my code is close, but instead of decreasing along the length of each strand it decreases each strand. Can someone take a look at my code and tell me what I am doing wrong?

The primpoints() function is supposed to return the points in the order that they exist along the curve.

thats one way:

width.hipnc

• Like 3

On 1/17/2017 at 10:19 PM, petz said:

these are potential field lines drawn around positive and nevative charges. its pretty simple to implement

"Pretty simple" - if you happen to know everything. Great stuff yet again.

On 19.1.2017 at 9:51 AM, eetu said:

"Pretty simple" - if you happen to know everything. Great stuff yet again.

thanks eetu but thats pure coincidence. a few years back i had to deal with this kind of stuff day in, day out for a project. so, even if i can´t look at flowlines, fieldlines, streamlines or whatsoever anymore, it seems to be still useful sometimes ...

Wow, thank you so much petz, what a great setup!

I loved the field lines in Grasshopper and just recently wondered how to best go about it in Houdini...

FractalFields.jpg

Cheers,

Tom