Just another laptop question

leohak

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got the MSI GS63VR 7RF ,
the performance is incredible! i had some troubles installing linux

the 4k screen worth every dollar but its a bit sensitive and mine was a little bit damaged in the shipment but its almost unnoticeable

the downside is the build quality. if you are use to a mac prepare for a lesser product.
it feels very fragile, the minidisplay port and power charger connector are not best located because to the cooling system. which is very very good. keeping it cool even when rendering full power

the battery doesn't last for long and the track pad is horibble

so you will have to do the math for yourself, the goods vs the bads

i wish apple will upgrade their spec because their build quality is so good

11 hours ago, Cyzor said:

I'm not sure about HP's production quality these days, but their recently announced ZBook x2 looks intriguing from a performance standpoint.

this new thing looks interesting. I am very discouraged from hp brand thou, due to my recent experience. I did a mistake of buying Zbook G3 online, without actually seeing the real product before. After a few days of using it I was quite disappointed by build quality (considering the fact that my previous hp laptop was top notch). I mean, performance is good enough but for $4000 I expect a product that is also built well and offers a great user experience. Creaky plastic body, mediocre keyboard and cpu fan interfering with speakers doesn't make me go with hp next time.

or am I just spoiled and shitty build is usual even for high-end these days? 

Edited by davpe

I think the new Dell XPS 15 is also a very good contender. It's more expensive but one can get one with 32GB memory 1050 GFX card, 4K resolution for about 2500 CAD refurbished which is good value IMO as the build and design is top notch. I really like the slim frame aluminum design especially given how light it is. Gaming laptops turn me off also.

If only they had 1060 6GB GFX card it would be an amazing laptop.

pusat: I am thinking recently about buying some laptop out of a Dell Precision series. they look great but are much pricier and heavier than XPS ones. so I'm wondering what is the real difference between them? By specifications it looks like performance-wise it should be close. It has different CPU/GPU but don't tell me it makes 1kg and $1000 difference?

Also, anybody knows why all manufacturers put only 8 or 16 gb ram into 99% of their mobile workstations? (at least in europe it is the case). who wants a workstation with 8 gb ram? that makes you always open it to install additional memory which makes your warranty go away .-/ that seems like a joke considering many gaming laptops have 32 gb built in.

yeah, I was comparing to Precision 7520. that's completely different body and significantly higher price. difference being better cooling, two hard disks, supposedly better quality control and slightly better performance (have done some research :)

On 27/10/2017 at 12:55 AM, Cyzor said:

I'm not sure about HP's production quality these days, but their recently announced ZBook x2 looks intriguing from a performance standpoint.

HP-_ZBook-x2_Front_Left_Tablet_Down_with

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/workstations-x2/

This seems promising as a competitor for the Wacom Mobile Studio Pro, without the realsense sensor. I would only recommend it for people sculpting with ZBrush and who needs some rendering capabilities alongside, or for people painting. I don’t see mich interest outside of that compared to the wonderful MSI laptop workstations, for example (i have a MSI W60, that works very well and that I used even to make fluid sims with Houdini)

On 25/10/2017 at 8:25 PM, Sepu said:

I got this one a few years back and still kicking ass 

https://us.msi.com/Laptop/GT72-Dominator-Pro-GTX-980M/Overview

I will def recommend MSI as a brand they have pretty powerful computer and so far support has been good.

I clearly agree ! I have been using a MSI Pro WS60 2OJ-011F - SSD - 3K Edition for 3 years now, and never had a problem with it. Only downside : they seem to be using mSSD in RAID0, and I never found if it was possible to easily change them to increase the main drive capabilities. Shouldn’t be a problem on new ones, but check before buying / select a confortable size straight from the start :-)

On 10/31/2017 at 4:22 PM, StepbyStepVFX said:

I clearly agree ! I have been using a MSI Pro WS60 2OJ-011F - SSD - 3K Edition for 3 years now, and never had a problem with it. Only downside : they seem to be using mSSD in RAID0, and I never found if it was possible to easily change them to increase the main drive capabilities. Shouldn’t be a problem on new ones, but check before buying / select a confortable size straight from the start :-)

No surprise that laptop is still powerful today.