Vop Playground!

altbighead

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..but have you experienced the beauty of the Dot node? ;) 

For people out there wihtout Nuke they're like tiny little Null nodes whose only purpose is to let you re-reroute your wires around the place.  So nice!

25172[/snapback]

oh the dot node rocks.. i'm loving that.. def something houdini should have.. but i shouldn't have to use it to be able to square out my wires.. a lot of time is taken just inserting and moving those things around to just have plain squared off nets..(i'd rather have a squared off option and just use dots for custom rerouting..)

ctrl clicking to drag parent nodes is quite nice as well.. wouldn't mind that in h.. plus i must admit throwing down an op and slipping it in to the wires between two other ops is quite convenient.. would like to see that in h as well.. but,not being able to disconnect input wires from a node in nuke is still driving me up a friggin wall.. (yea yea ctrl-d but it will only do the first one..)

but yeaaa.. another thread will have to start if we want to go over my frustrations with nuke ;) .. over all, the program's damn solid, but there are just certain ui things that i come across and think 'god this is so ineffecient'.. anyways [/rant].. :)

dave

• 1 month later...
I did this half assed rendering on my free time.. very simple but i thought it is cool .. As usual.. combo of vex sop/dis/bump with procedural approch.no pushing and pulling involved. :stupid:

post-602-1144438987_thumb.jpg

26358[/snapback]

That's beautiful. Would love to see the vex :-)

That's a nice image, simple but very effective

@simon, do you cache any part of the geometry to disk? I was just wondering wondering how you'd deal with the interactivity of Houdini with that amount of network...

25227[/snapback]

That network is littered with rop outputs and file sops to break the chain down into manageable chunks. They also act as break points incase the any of the procedural stuff breaks down. This model has to inter-relate to many other models that exist in the same space and often to do this they build off each other. Of course when it gets that complex you can easily screw things up so having stuff cached to disk means you always have a working point you can return to.

I did this half assed rendering on my free time.. very simple but i thought it is cool .. As usual.. combo of vex sop/dis/bump with procedural approch.no pushing and pulling involved. :stupid:

post-602-1144438987_thumb.jpg

26358[/snapback]

Well done altbighead!

for these tests maybe you can play with the Fog COP.