Random Voronoi Fracturing

Hi All!

So we've all used a voronoi fracture, and seen it used. That's the problem!

Is anyone able to suggest methods to stop the voronoi fracture fracturing with the classic voronoi look with more ‘randomness’?

Obviously it depends on the material we’re fracturing but just in general

Thanks all.

19 minutes ago, MilesS1 said:

Hi All!

So we've all used a voronoi fracture, and seen it used. That's the problem!

Is anyone able to suggest methods to stop the voronoi fracture fracturing with the classic voronoi look with more ‘randomness’?

Obviously it depends on the material we’re fracturing but just in general

Thanks all.

Voronoi patterns have a clear "mathematical" definitions, hence their recognizable look. So you can't stop them fracturing that way :-) BUT : there are ways to deform your geometry before fracturing it with Voronoi, and doing the reverse transform afterward on the fractured pieces.

Here are two methods I remember :

- one method is using simple transforms node (to elongate the geo on 1 axis with scale, and doing the reverse after fracture, to create shattered wood pieces for example)

- other method by using noise (like a mountain sop deformation), keeping the old/original position of points as an attribute of the deformed geo, fracturing it, and then using the original position attribute to reverse-deform the geo (I don't remember how exactly, but maybe using a pointdeform sop, or maybe just interpolating an "original position" attributes for the newly created points).

Maybe you already knew those two methods and were seeking more exotic ones ?

The look is determined by the point locations. You control those locations so play around with it. I often follow my scatter with a low count point replicate. This allows me to keep the original scatter count low and generate a cluster of points around that original point. This results in more smaller fracture pieces being generated around a single point rather than that canned C4D Thrausi look you mention.

You can use creative ways to to glue neighboring voronoi fractures together in a random pattern ( combining different noises in a VOP to run the constraint types ). This also helps with the convex hull situation so there is no overlapping geo. Lots of different techniques.

Depending on the scene and type of demolition / fracturing, you could use the new booleans to fracture, which are extremely detailed and robust.

Best,

Hunter

35 minutes ago, LaidlawFX said:

This would be an example use of what everyone has been saying. There are many files on the forum for all these patterns if you look around.

https://www.orbolt.com/asset/LaidlawFX::voronoifracture::1.0

thumbnail-720x540-LaidlawFX__voronoifracture__1.0-0.png

and how to get it? i try to register, but "FREE" scene still not available for download... maybe you upload here this "FREE" houdini scene?

You will have to contact Orbolt support if you are having issues. The assets are free on Orbolt, but they are black boxed as their primary draw back. The methods everyone has mentioned in this thread are all used in the setup, so this is more just a visual example case. All the ways to modified voronoi as in this examples to build an HDA like this are on the forum. It is only on Orbolt if you do not want to pay the, Iron Price, if you understand the game of thrones parlance.