Apple did it again!

Well last friday, I went over to a friends house to pick up some jack stands and floor jacks so I would be able to remove the front drive axles removed from my celica. Well needless to say I did not get the drive axles removed. I instead spent 2 hours watching the Steve Jobs keynote *thingy* The part that struck me the most was the expos

That store in Chicago Steve Jobs has mentioned is just three blocks away from my house. I went there and didn't find anything that I did see at CompUSA allready. Nice spot for bums tho! God bless Steve Jobs for at least some of them have a steady incom now. :D

• 2 weeks later...

There are Macs at my school, aside the reguar Wintels... almost everybody likes the Wintels over the Macs, just like myself.

From what I've seen from MacOS X I can't really say it's anything new/better/revolutionary compared to an Intel powered Linux system, which is what I use.

<bullshiet>

I like the enlarging rotating icon thingy at the bottom. And those wide screen notebooks that I see everyone with are super cool too.

=)

I'm a sucker for useless cute stuff.

</bullshiet>

My last Apple was the 2e.

:P

jim.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love it if Houdini ran on my Mac. Of course they'll (Apple) need to get with reality and have drivers for better than medium to upper-medium level game boards available (GeForceFX5200Ultra or RADEON9800Pro). Without at least Quadro support they can't be taken half serious for 3D.

My experience with Linux from my last tour at DD didn't impress me much. OGL was buggy, at best, which made Houdini operation extremely frustrating most days. Even the most staunch Houdiniites cursed their daily toil simply because something in the tool or the OS or the BoXXes didn't play nice together. Then on top of that, for non CG related work, Linux was just a pain to use for everyday "civilian" activities. Like, watching movie trailers, Flash BS, etc. or video streams like that keynote URL.

NT/2K/XP...ugly, but ubiquitous. OGL driver performance seems much more robust and stable but even strapping on the shells and Unix commands don't make it more than the illusion of the perfect machine. Sooooo many ways to bring it to its knees. Hate, hate, hate...double-hate...loathe entirely the idiocy that is the Registry.

Anyway, I'd ditch all my PCs, keeping just one fast one around for playing Quake and Battlefield 1942 if I could run my CG app of choice on my Mac. Even if you don't like Macs at least admit that any expansion of the Houdini user base would be a good thing. Not that SESI makes this likely thanks to their cost-per-seat being firmly rooted in the 1990s.

I don't use macs, but I find it pretty funny that there is a Solaris version of Houdini, yet no OS X version. I realize the market for Houdini on OS X is propably very small, but couldn't the same thing be said for Solaris? I wonder how many places actually use that combination...

I believe that sun asked sesi to do it, that's why we have a solaris version.

From what I understand, it's not hard at all for them to make an OS X version. But the support would essentially cost them money, and as far as I can tell (and I belive this is their reason for not making one) none of the production facilities using houdini are using OS X as workstations for 3d. There, plain and simple. No money comming in on that end, so no money being put into converting and supporting.

You say the bad words about Linux... and you say the good about Mac. I no like.

I like Linux. I no like Mac. Mac be bad karma.

Hah-hah, well, that's just my experience. I was very excited to finally use linux in a production environment but by the end of my tour I felt like I was gravitating back towards Windoze, though neither environment was tuned for optimum use or stability so I had to bounce between both to feel like I could do everything I wanted to do. Not necessarily everything I needed to do but everything I wanted to do.

Jaguar is pretty much poop, I will say that. Apple added a lot of bugs to the OS after v10.1.5 that hopefully they'll fix in Panther.

Jaguar is pretty much poop, I will say that. Apple added a lot of bugs to the OS after v10.1.5 that hopefully they'll fix in Panther.

After which they'll run out of cool cat names and have to think of something else to call their OS. I reckon the name should be indicitive of the quality of the OS. Skunk is probably a good one to move onto from where they are...

:P

how about keeping with the 'user friendly' theme of Apple and go with less dangerous cats...like "Tabby 11.4"

Apple could use those inspirational posters you see in doctors offices...you know the one with the little wet cat with his hair all sticking up "Bad Hair Day", or the one with the cat hanging by one little claw from a log "just hangin' around!"

...better than those "switch" ads...damn I'd love to be in one of the meetings they have to decide what 'kind' of people to have in those things...

arctor

unemployed

"I have more confidence in technology if it looks pretty"

etter than those "switch" ads...damn I'd love to be in one of the meetings they have to decide what 'kind' of people to have in those things...

Hehe my favorite switch ad was that spoof that was done in flash. Where anakin is talking about switching to the darkside.

Anakin Switch

Its so boss.

jim.