Today's CG Channel Feature Story!

edward

Not to be outdone by those Lightwave guys, I have come up with a method just as complicated, if not more so, than the one in that article!

Behold the screw script! It will create a geometry file (screw.geo) with as many steps as you like! But that's not all, it will even generate an object, and even a file sop ( !!! ) which will then read in said screw!

I know, it sounds too good to be true, but by placing this script into the directory from which you start houdini, running the script as such:

source screw.cmd 20
#where 20 is the number of steps

you too can see the magic happen, RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR EYES!!!

Cheers y'all!

-Zig

:ph34r:

screw.cmd

I don't want to know how many people jens' script will frighten....

Hehe, it's purely for amusement. Anyone who truly wants to see the strength of houdini can read the first few posts in this thread, and maybe download that hipfile B) .

> screw.cmd 50000

Now thats a big screw.  

Holy crap, how long did that take? :o

Do I see a bug?    99999 polys.

Nope, no bug (how dare you!?! ;) ) The total number of primitives is the number of steps times two minus one (to account for the connecting polygons in between the steps) B)

That's the funniest thing I have ever seen!  lmao.  Turn it into a tutorial.

Hehe, well, after doing it I pretty much decided that it's completely useless! I like the idea of being able to create polys in script, but I can't think of an instance where houdini wouldn't just do a better job with the provided tools. But if you want to know how I did it, just write out a geo file from a triangle, take a look, then write out a geo file from 2 triangles, take another look, and you'll realize that the geo format is really simple. The only interesting bits in my script is that I'm echoing the output into a text file. if you use

echo something > file.geo

it will create file.geo and place something in it. If you use

echo "something else" >>  file.geo

it will then append something else to that file, meaning it won't override it, but instead start where the other one ended.

:)

Cheers y'all

-Jens