Houdini Hip Tricks Volume One and Two

varomix

1301426993_HipTricks_MASTER.png

cmiVFX Releases SideFX Houdini Hip Tricks Volume One and Two

High Definition Training Videos for the Visual Effects Industry

Princeton, NJ (March 28, 2011) – cmiVFX launches its latest training for the SideFX Houdini premiere digital visual effects animation software package. Why build one kick ass VFX video when two is twice as nice! We have never been more fired up to release a training video in the history of this company.

Everything you wanted to know, delivered fast and furious through our ground breaking, ever evolving web based delivery player system. In these two videos, you’ll learn how to make production ready user friendly tools that will captivate your audience time and time again. Since Houdini is way more than just a 3D application, you will see it from a framework point of view. You`ll understand how you can solve any kind of situation you might encounter, using the tools in ways they were never dreamed to perform in that way. As a testament of the power and flexibility of Houdini, we’ll try to keep it simple and understandable by encapsulating some very interesting areas of Houdini. When you’re done with this set, you’ll have several tools to use, and have lots of ideas of how approach and develop your own tools. To call it Magic, is a true understatement. How can you put a guarantee on perfection?

Here at cmiVFX we maintain a current training library for the latest versions of popular software titles. When it comes to high end CG and VFX training, there is only once choice... cmiVFX!

Don’t forget about the cmiSubscription plan! Get one today. cmiVFX launched the most affordable subscription plan in Visual FX Training History for only $299 USD, and if you were a subscriber, this New Training Release would already be in your account. This video is also available a-la-cart in our brand new HTML5 player system.

Brief Introduction

Welcome to the highly anticipate "HIP Tricks" video set, created by CMIVFX and Varomix. A partnership like no other, this joint venture shows the true comradery that is a true CG pipeline. There is a reason that cmiVFX stands alone in the high end market…. IT'S NOT EASY TO DO! However true, we take pride in our sadistic need to provide the latest and greatest training in our industry so that digital entertainers can tell their story. We will work with ANYONE that has something fantastic to offer… wether it is a student half way around the world, or another training company that wants to work with us on a video title. We will always pull together with the right people to make the best training the world has to offer. Expect great things… ALWAYS!

||||||||||||||||||||| Houdini HIP Tricks Volume 1 ||||||||||||||||||||||

http://store.cmivfx.....ricks+Volume+1

A Hip Autopsy

In this first volume you will learn how to dissect any Houdini Hip scene, and figure out how that scene is put together. This is great for exploring sample scenes, other artists scenes to assist you in the creation of your own. We will also go over some tips to make your projects more solid and show you were you can get help from the great Houdini Artist Community.

Feather Tool

For this chapter set we will build a hero feather system used for close-up shots. This tool will give the artist total control using Houdini's ramp widgets so that it makes for a great user experience. In the process we'll learn how to map ramp parameters to control parameters of our tool.

Earthquake and Fischer Cracks.

In this section we will create a multi-purpose ground cracking tool, putting special attention on making it easily modifiable, and in realtime. The art of making it solid and getting predictable result, doesn't mean that its simple. The final result is a very high end production ready tool that can be used in many scenarios. This chapter alone is work the price of the entire volume set.

||||||||||||||||||||| Houdini HIP Tricks Volume 2 ||||||||||||||||||||||

http://store.cmivfx.....ricks+Volume+2

Row Row Row Your Boat

Using Houdini Ocean Tools plug-in (HOT), we'll create and ocean that emits foam and splashes. We then we'll add a ship that floats on the ocean in which the movement of the ship will be driven by the ocean. Once we do that, we'll use the floating, moving ship to deform the ocean as it advances and emits spray at collisions with the waves.

Pixelated Game

Believe it or not, we'll will build a complete playable game inside Houdini, using out-of-the-box tools and a little bit of Python code. This project is a real statement that Houdini can do just about everything that you can throw at it. Don't think of Houdini as a 3D app, think of it as a 3D Operating System.

Alvaro Castañeda

Alvaro Castañeda, best known as "Varomix" is a 33 years old CG Generalist TD. He lost a little of his self back in 1993 at a Jurassic Park screening, and that totally changed his life. Toy Story finished the job in 1995 - there was no turning back!. He started his way in 3D back in 1998, first using 3ds Max, then Cinema4D and finally in 1999, I met Maya 2.0. Since then I've done CGI for print, web, TV, Film, DVD, I guess anything that has pixels in it!. He started using Houdini in 2002 shortly after Side Effects launched the Houdini Apprentice Program. He had also done on-set VFX Supervision and DOP Assisting. He'll soon move to Toronto to continue his career as a Houdini Generalist.

Project Contents

All cmiVFX videos come with all the training materials you can need right from our website. No matter what time of day, your location, or how your feeling, cmiVFX will be there waiting for you!

This video is available today at the cmiVFX Store: http://store.cmivfx.com/

About cmiVFX

cmiVFX is the leader in High Definition Video Training for the Visual Effects Community. Register for FREE and receive hours of FREE content at the cmiVFX Video-on-Demand Player. ( http://store.cmivfx.com/login ) For additional information about cmiVFX, visit http://www.cmivfx.com/. © 2010 cmiVFX | cmiStudios. All rights reserved.

post-3040-130143041545_thumb.png

Edited by varomix

If you take a look at past threads announcing new cmi videos you'll see an general dislike in regards to their online only distribution method.

Despite the fact that some content may look interesting, if I'm going to be paying money for things I want a real product in my hands that I can watch whenever, wherever I want. I travel, commute and am not always at home. If I've got a few minutes on a bus or plane and I want to watch a video I payed for then I'm out of luck. If cmi were to suddenly go under tomorrow, however unlikely, then all those videos I've bought are now lost forever. This seems to be the trend of late and while I'm all for online content, I don't agree with the option to not have a copy that I can control.

Totally agree. Streaming is a great way to prevent piracy, but it's such a pain for the end user.

IMO, watermarks on the videos is the way to go.

If you take a look at past threads announcing new cmi videos you'll see an general dislike in regards to their online only distribution method.

Despite the fact that some content may look interesting, if I'm going to be paying money for things I want a real product in my hands that I can watch whenever, wherever I want. I travel, commute and am not always at home. If I've got a few minutes on a bus or plane and I want to watch a video I payed for then I'm out of luck. If cmi were to suddenly go under tomorrow, however unlikely, then all those videos I've bought are now lost forever. This seems to be the trend of late and while I'm all for online content, I don't agree with the option to not have a copy that I can control.

Totally agree. Streaming is a great way to prevent piracy, but it's such a pain for the end user.

I agree, sometimes streaming is not my best friend, I love to also have a watermarked mp4 version, but I also like the idea of been there from any computer I login, that's also great.

ALso, I have tried loading some other training vids on a ipod or something similar and you can't actually see a damn thing, :P the screen is so small, I like the idea, but I don't know how really useful that'll be.

Thanks guys for the nice comments

hi,

videos streamed from cmi are already protected ; personal info is encoded in the videos to prevent the piracy ( im a cmi client ). having no watermark is great and im comparing that with another video tutorial about houdini i saw in another web ( my name was all the time between me and the tutorial ). or i had a feeling like i was following the class from outside , through an un-cleaned window . ;)

imho, the video online services without doubt are a good thing, but vulnerability might make someones investment futile sometimes, esp. when you need those as references .

oh, and since we are ; do not know about all of you guys, but i'm unable to open odforce in my htc-hd7 mobile phone. iphone was the same story , even worse. maybe it wd be a good idea to have all this web available for mobile devices too. sometimes, i really miss this forum's threads.

--

and now back on Topic ...

Great job Varomix ! just saw the vimeo video . nice ...

i'll see those as soon as i find some free time ,... meanwhile you take care of bringing more of those ! i love Hou

.cheers

Has vol2 actually been released yet? I only see Houdini Hip Tricks in the list (we're on subscription), then it only brings me to vol1 videos...

--Ian

Both we're release together, in the store is listed as one item, once you click on it it shows you both, you just need to go to your videos, is listed there as 2 separate vids un the Houdini category

Cheers!

Both we're release together, in the store is listed as one item, once you click on it it shows you both, you just need to go to your videos, is listed there as 2 separate vids un the Houdini category

Cheers!

Yeah, I only see one listed in the Houdini Category. I'll send them an email.

--Ian