Houdini 7.0

michael

an area that I'd like to see some major improvements to is the whole OTL creation workflow...

currently it's very clumsy and difficult to work with...

if $USER=arctor

enable difficult OTL creation mode

else

enable easy OTL creation mode

endif

jim.

• 3 weeks later...

i just thought of a feture we need

in max they have Ctrl to add to selections and Alt to subtract from selections. max toggels selection when Ctrl clicking and adds when dragging a selection box...

I am sorry but shift being used to toggle selections is just a little short for me. I have Keys assigned to switching from adding and subtracting from selections. But come on Gimmi Gimmi !

Ctrl, Shift, Alt, dont mind what one just gimmi one to add and one to subtract when i hold it down.

1. I'd really like to see CHOPs more integrated. I'm thinking of a kind of Fetch CHOP which wouldn't sample the fcurves when imported. And to have a kind of "channel editor pane" in the CHOP viewer which allows you to edit those "imported" (or, better said, instantiated) fcurves in place. I know you can open a floating window for that, but I want it in the CHOP viewer. In tandem with that, a "temporary bypass of CHOPnet" hotkey would be wonderful. When you keep it pressed, you can key your initial, imported fcurves.

2. CHOPs viewport manipulators should be available when the CHOPnet is embedded in an OTL, like the 3D viewport manipulators are.

3. Wren should render in SWF (Flash) format. Since it already does PostScript, I think it would not be very hard to implement SWF, which is a public format. Also, a way to customize the vector shading (with gradients, shadows), instead of the simple and primitive output you get from Wren now. One can already do that in Maya 5, plugins are available for all the other major packages, so I think Houdini should provide this as well.

Dragos

If talk has gone about SWF it would be possible to realize support of other interesting vector format - SVG. Though all this does not concerns to making of digital effects.

Still as it seems to me it would be very good to expand the interface capabilities. For example, there would be no superfluous a capability of a grouping of radiobuttons in groups or any accommodation of interface elements (as in a picture, checkboxes in one line). It would allow to develop more convenient tools.

post-13-1075459236.gif

I would like to see the following things in the next Houdini Gold release:

1) Improved Documentation: I know all the videos out there, but no video is a true replacement of good documentations. Look at XSI's for example. Whenever we press the ? button for an optile the window should not only display the help but should at least give an example and a mini tutorial as to hot to use that optile. Currently there are many optiles whose help is not very descriptive. That is to say, the nodes itself should be very heavily documented. The pdf'should be updated and all the old houdini tutorials should return updated to the latest version (on side fx's website).

I think Sidefx is not paying too much attention to its docs division. (My own personal openion)

2)The API should be more accessible. The Apprentice edition should have the HDK and proper documentation.

..Will do for now...

• 2 weeks later...

not sure if this is doable already. but for the sequence blend sop i wouldnt mind seeing a way of being able to control the tangency and placement of morphs. and when each morph is triggered. say i have 3 morphs plugged in for closing an eye. and if i want the middle morph to be closer to the 100% morph. and adjust the progress curve for it.

infact a whole set driven key setup that is separate from time, would be nice :)

other than this, i wouldnt mind seeing just further improved docs and tutorials. as someone said earlier in this thread, a mini tutorial on using the node when you press the ? button would be great.

areas id like to see further covered would be,( since a lot of the basic stuff has been covered in the past tutorials) adding soft dynamics to a character. giving notes on using it effectively. since the pop docs cover 99% particle stuff and not geometry deformation tools, id like to see that developed further, and how to avoid common mistakes/ troubleshoot problems.

a simpler way of adding expressions. like for example. right clicking to bring up a menu or something, and being able to choose an expression. it would automatically be entered with default parameters. beside each expression could be a button with a questionmark that would bring up the help docs on using the expression. just some random thoughts.

oh goody, a wishlist:

better triangulation of polys (triangles

with edges as similar in length as possible).

a global extrude option that extrudes a selection

of adjacent faces along their normals while keeping them

connected and preserving their angular relationship.

this one would save a lot of time & edit sops...

edge/face/poly read/write access in vops,

Eg: face_normal, barycentric co-ords, edge length, edge direction,

edge/face verts as an array, etc...

vertex/edge/face/poly create, copy and delete in vops.

edge chamfering with division/width parameters

(or divisions in polybevel).

an option for middle click info on SOPs could contain all

local parameters (as can be listed in the graph editor with

the channel and parameter chooser).

fast 2D tracking in halo.

h4.1 style viewers in halo (better functionality) on top of,

or instead of cells within a single viewer.

prisms:ice style input range offsets + blend function-curve

in all binary COPs.

a cube-based camera match tool.

a more accessible and comprehensive generic scripting interface

(maxscript is the best example i've seen).

in sub-object select mode: ctrl+click=replace select mode (instead of shift),

alt+click=remove select mode.

a display ortho grids hotkey.

generic colour settings gui (especially for viewport bg colour, grid colour

object selection colour etc...)

fast, less flakey viewport texture visualisation.

a fast raytracing renderer. with the re-implementation of the

coarse-to-fine passes from prisms, and the full detail

spiral spot-check feature. that was a huge time saver.

... or vray/brazil support!

an ultra=fast scanline renderer. on todays hardware a good scanline

renderer can increase the number of previews by several more per day,

that means several more qualitative iterations of your work.

a single .chm helpfile.

um, I should get bask to work now...

-cpb

maybe its dreaming but a 3d paint tool inside houdini would be so cool !!

comprehensive docs like xsi would be great. but not their interface or vb script ;)

also a mind-meld SOP so i can download the contents of all the forum regulars brains :D

• 1 month later...
And a much faster Subdivide SOP, or a Geometry Approximation SOP which allows the display of a simplified subdivided wireframe (Maya ?). This should also be available when "render as subdivision surfaces" is checked at the object level.

Dragos

A faster SubdivideSOP would definitely be needed, as everyone else seems to have very fast smoothed polys now.

Maya's subdivision surfaces have a simplified subdivided wireframe, but it's hiearchy based and only works on Subdivision surfaces. I'd like to see it on regular smoothed/subdivided/apparoximated polys, a la XSI and Lightwave.

when i render out a flipbook, i would like to be able to cancel it and have it open the frames it has already generated rather than aborting the whole thing.. it gets annoying when i'll send 200 frames to preview, but by 100 i get impatient and just want to cancel and see what i have without losing it all..