Houdini 7.0

michael

OK...it's not here yet but I'm guessing it's coming around SIGGRAPH/Fall 2004 - along with the next Apprentioce Challenge....

and I'm guessing that most of it's features are set by now...

however -

I think it would be a good idea to start a thread for a Houdini 7 wish List, this would be a way to let Side Effects know about the things Houdini users would like to see in the next major version, and also let them know how we feel about the state of Houdini's current feature set....

there are some obvious things that people always seem to mention - cloth, fur, CFD etc, and thats fine - but I'd I think it would be good to go a bit deeper than that - cloth like Maya? XSI? Syflex? etc?, Fluids like Maya - or something different? Be as descriptive as you can - and try not to ask for something that is already there...lol..

So lets hear what you have to say - who knows - thay might put in something you've been wanting for a long time :)

If the feature is already in there, lucky you, your feature is just a "I told you so" away.

As someone newish to Houdini I carry all the baggage from my last software (max) so with that in mind. The idea comes from the main way you can work in max to be procedural and that is to modify one selection set, to grow it shrink it select its borders ect. But the main future is that the selection is taken from the output from the previous modifier. Now Houdini could do with a little of this behaviour added to its tools.

I would like to have an automatic selection group created with every sop (or some other solution to this effect) that is the

Hm, first thoughts...

-> Connection between COPS and SHOPs:

To use COPs as textures interactively: no need to render the COP into a file

and say Houdini to use this file, but internal linking. (may interest TouchDesigner users)

->Make COPs a kind of mini-Gimp, or Mini-Paint, with paint and selection features or develop the System COP).

Could be use in relation with the previously mentioned COP-SHOP system to interactively

paint textures.

-> An Implementation of something like PaintFX shouldn't be so difficult with L-Systems,

PaintOP and rendering lines as textured ribbons.

->To diffuse Houdini EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD AND NOT ONLY IN THE USA!

It's so great ! :) :) :)

To use COPs as textures interactively: no need to render the COP into a file and say Houdini to use this file, but internal linking. (may interest TouchDesigner users)

In any of the SHOP parameters that reference a file, you can use the op:op_path notation. For example, to use the /img/img1/noise1 cop as your texture map, put in op:/img/img1/noise1. For Touch Designer, it would probably be op:/cop/copnet1/noise1.

On meshsmooth's point about automatic selections::

Ah, this seems like a feature that's *almost* there in Houdini. Many of the SOPs do have the option to create output groups (like in the Groups tab of the PolyExtrude operator), and almost all of them do leave a very useful selection after the operation is complete, so it seems like it would be fairly easy to implement something like this.

I could imagine it working like this: Have a special symbol in the SOPs group field that means "Previous Operator's Selection", which would be put in the group field if the resultant selection from the previous operator was untouched. Lets pretend the special symbol is "%"

e.g. Hitting 'q' and just repeating operations of PolyExtrudes would just use the special symbol instead of "baking" the selection into edge numbers/prim numbers/etc. An advanced user could manually modify the string to do things like "% 20-30 ^55", thereby using a modified selection based on the previous operators selection.

If the user wanted to make a group out of it, the user could use a Group SOP and leave "%" in the pattern.

Does that sound like it'd do what you want? It sounds useful to me..

I think SESI should incorporate a "MAKE IT" and "FUCK IT" button...

Maybe we need a to be able to customize the "Accept" and "Cancel" button text then? ;)

mine would have a little more funtionality...

MAKE IT - makes anything and everything the director wants... even before he says or thinks it..

FUCK IT - a button within houdini that triggers a .38 calibre bullet wedged in ones brain during a super secret indoctrionation ritual when you begin to learn the ways of houdini

howz'at sound??

If the user wanted to make a group out of it, the user could use a Group SOP and leave "%" in the pattern.

Does that sound like it'd do what you want? It sounds useful to me..

aaah... Yes. Kinda like vi's regex would be nice. :)

Another idea is to look at the tools of .Wings3d or Nendo because there selection growing and shrinking should be doable in a completely dynamic fashion (on a selection that is changing nad updating without human interaction). And also the extrude region with local clumping of faces together. If you don

I'm steel waiting for realtime VEX-> hardware shaders (or OpenGL 2.0 SL) compiler (realtime VEX rendered scenes in viewport, realtime VEX shaders previews and OpenGL 2.0 ROP or ROP with any VEX to hardware compiling)

I'm waiting for a better statistic info (abt overall polygons count in scene or something like this)

I'm waiting for better polygonal and NURBS modeling tools.

By the way... Why Houdini's Bezier curves or surfaces don't have control vectors like in all programs? (for example Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator, 3DS Max)

Also i want to see some VEX/HScript improvements, for example support of arrays and maybe... objects.

Hummm... Maybe i want some little interface improvements (just want to see the interface more elegant ;))

And... More stable, more stable, more stable.

In any case Houdini is the best 3D software for me :rolleyes:

Hi there,

I'm fairly sure OpenGL2.0 support is a fairly short step away, but if I'm not mistaken, only the OpenGL 1.5 Spec has been released and OpenGL2.0 "experimental" support is only available on the WildCat VP, right? Or has NVidia or ATi released 2.0 drivers yet?

http://www.opengl.org

I'd love it too, but ATi are a little slow off the mark;)

an area that I'd like to see some major improvements to is the whole OTL creation workflow...

currently it's very clumsy and difficult to work with...

parameter creation/editing interface needs to be rebuilt - more visual, drag'n'drop for everything etc

the editor for sections is bizzare and unreliable

and the docs...I don't think SESI can release the next major version without complete, updated, accurate documentation...

1. Fix all bugs found during 6.0/6.1 test period

2. Implement all features "submited as RFE"

3. ARRAYS!!!ARRAYS!!!ARRAYS for Hscript & VEX

Few RFE:

"Save SOP, POP, COP" operators...I mean ability to save

current state of geometry or image to disk in geo/pic format

for simulation based (time depended) stuf like CFD etc.

Expression driven "bypas" for Sop operators (like "Activation" field in POP)

What about having the ability to do a whole rig in a vex chop. All you would need to change is to make it possible to have multiple vector or matrix inputs and multiple outputs for them as well. Just think you could make a vex leg rig and have 2 instances of it and have inputs from your vex spine rig. The rest of the ingredients are already within VEX and you can write it or wire it together.