Mortal Combat - Scorpion

RobertVari

Hi,

I've started to learn Houdini maybe a year ago. I know that most of you use it as an efficient tool for making procedural assets and dynamic simulations but I would like to show you how can I use it as a character artist.

I'm really satisfied with it's rendering and shading abilities. In the future I would like to encourage more artists to try and use Houdini in their workflow.

This is my Scorpion character in the middle of the texturing process :)

Composit_v020.jpg

Composit_v021.jpg

scorpion_dustLayer.jpg

• Like 3

Amazing !!

i do share the same opinion as yours that houdini can be used not only for simulations .

if you'd find some time and will to share your experience , id be very interested to read it here .

.cheers

--

p.s.: i get too exited when i see something non exploding or melting done with houdini . Ha- Haa !

I'm glad you all like it :)

I didn't use any procedural shaders. I like to paint my own textures, and on his chest, and all the other parts I used 2K textures. I'm using mostly four texture types, Diffuse, Displacement, Specular, and a glossy for controlling specular angle.

I'm using the default Mantra surface, but I did few changes in it. I built in a tiling option and a color correction for both diffuse and specular textures. I also added the ability to control specular angle with a texture, as I mentioned above.

I must say that, so far I'm really impressed by Mantra's speed and quality. I have an old quad core Intel and I did this renders under four minutes. I tried Mental Ray and V-ray as well but they were slow, especially in closeups and used a lot of memory.

yes, nice work! from what I've seen so far, Houdini is good for pretty much anything! I think the main reason there are so few people using Houdini for Character Design/animation is a lack of good training materials out there...

wanna make a "how to make sub-zero in Houdini" training video for us? =)

12++

• Like 1

yes, nice work! from what I've seen so far, Houdini is good for pretty much anything! I think the main reason there are so few people using Houdini for Character Design/animation is a lack of good training materials out there...

wanna make a "how to make sub-zero in Houdini" training video for us? =)

Muhahaa :D Well maybe I would try :) You alright. There are plenty of tutorials about making procedural assets, fluid simulations and such things, which is quite understandable. Houdini is damn good in these things. In contrast, I couldn't find any tutorial about making characters or professional animations with it.

Most impressive effort, Robert!

The world could certainly use more training material for character work in Houdini. There is much power and potential in the software, but it's challenging to pick up as the node-based and procedural methodology is quite different from traditional character animation packages.

Would you be so kind as to share a bit of your workflow with us?

In particular I'm curious about:

1) Modeling - is the character modeled in Houdini? If not, what is your workflow for importing?

2) Texturing - are the UVs assigned using Houdini, or imported with the character geometry?

3) Rigging/Animation - do you plan to rig and animate the character inside Houdini? If not, do you have a workflow for applying character animation and rendering using Mantra?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. Thank you and looking forward to more of your excellent work! ^^

I tried Houdini's modeling tools and I realized instantly that the modeling workflow and tools in Houdini, although quite similar to other modeling softwares, much more suitable for procedural modeling than making props or characters. Therefore I used my good old Maya and Zbrush workflow to model Scorpion.

For making UV-s I use Unfold3D mostly. After I finished the models and all the UV works has been done I exported the model to OBJ format.

I'm planing to create a rig for the character and use motion capture animation to breathe some life into it, but then I have to switch to alembic format, which according to my previous test, is quite easy to work with.

All the textures on Scorpion are hand painted in Mudbox and Photoshop.