My Latest fur work

TomRaynor

There have been a lot of posts on fur going around recently so thought I would add this into the mix. This is the latest project that I worked on where we used a fully Houdini pipeline for all of the fur and lit and rendered in mantra using pbr and the new pbr hair model.

company website version:

http://www.themill.com/work/smithwicks/squirrel.aspx

my website version (with breakdowns and more behind the scenes to come):

http://tom-raynor.com/?post_type=portfolio&p=372&gallery=work

Cheers!

Great work Tom.

The look of the fur is really nice. It looks much older and scraggly than typical cg animals. I guess they are more photogenic :).

Brilliant macro shot of the eye. Looking forward to more breakdowns.

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers guys! Bolt hope life is treating u well at DN. We should get a beer in.

It was all rendered in pbr, we got a chrome ball and grey ball plate for every shot as well as HDRIs. We turned the HDRIs into a cube map that got projected onto accurately modelled scene geo as well as camera projecting the backplate onto scene geo in some cases. However the bulk of the lighting was done using spot lights and standard lighting techniques as we found that the secondary bounce light didn't contribute a great deal to the fur at all. Pixel samples needed to be cranked pretty damn high as it is really only resolving the fine hair geometry that was the source of noise. Whiskers were rendered separately for this reason.

The biggest thing I would stress (and it sounds simple) is that it is all about the model! Once the model is right everything else follows. There are too many creatures online with totally wacky proportions. If you are making a squirrel, roto a real squirrel image! We had all kinds of ugly rats to start off with...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...