FLIP smorganic/sheeter effect?

poppy

Thank you, Alejandro. I see you pay attention to the details ^_^

So in the case of a Icecube falling into a half filled glass, getting a nice crownsplash but no volume extension afterwards, you would need to track the fillermask particles and make sure the get deleted again smoothly within the core of the fluids, eg by neighbours masking or similiar?

Edited by tylerafx

On 4/21/2020 at 8:19 AM, WhyGee said:

Thanks for the reply!

Not sure I understand. Isn't the free surface mask, all the particles on the liquid/air interface?

Are you modifying field vel or particle v to achieve these results?

Yes, the freeSurface are all the particles that are in the liquid/air interface. 

I modified both, it mainly depends on what you want. Sometimes you want to affect everything at the volume stage of the solver to have more average results and less noise.

10 hours ago, tylerafx said:

Thank you, Alejandro. I see you pay attention to the details ^_^

So in the case of a Icecube falling into a half filled glass, getting a nice crownsplash but no volume extension afterwards, you would need to track the fillermask particles and make sure the get deleted again smoothly within the core of the fluids, eg by neighbours masking or similiar?

No problem Tylerafx!

Fortunately I don't need to track each injected particle to deal with volume conservation on "normal speed" sims, the uniform distribution take care of that, so there is not huge volume increase (I'd show you that in last examples I posted); But with "high speed" sims this can be a bit of a nightmare, so I'm still testing that kind of scenarios. One thing I'm doing now is to give to each fillerMask particles a life, so when this life ends the particle will try to reach the closer freeSurface edge and to then merge its location to a closer non fillerMask particle class and finally it gets deleted from the point cloud; This is working pretty well, but unfortunately the user needs to still find a good life to play with, so I'm still trying to find a way to automate this. 

Edited by Pazuzu

• 1 month later...

@Pazuzu
The result is very good, I have been following all the progress and this is very cool.

Wouldn't you do a (paid) tutorial so that you can teach us how to configure and control this surface tension on a small scale?

I've already migrated my entire flip process to small scale, but I can't use surface tension at all.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 25.2.2020 at 4:54 PM, Pazuzu said:

Thanks Andrea!

Attached are two screens where you can see the general particle count. I tend to not abuse the particle count to have good meshing results (so I don't use re-seeding), that's mainly because if you need to re-time you can have weird pulsing artifacts, so the only way to overcome this is to over-smooth, and that can be very expensive sometimes and will kill nice details, also boundary conditions can have flickering as well with overcrowded particle clusters closer to colliders. Instead of this I use a method to redistribute the particles to have a more uniform distribution between them, this way you can have very nice and smooth edges without so many particles and have a more clean and smooth mesh without sacrificing details. 

Considering the uniform distribution. Are you just averaging the "about to rip" areas and blend that with @P with the freeMask as bias?
I am trying some like that right now, but struggle with the right distribution formula.

3 hours ago, sekow said:

Considering the uniform distribution. Are you just averaging the "about to rip" areas and blend that with @P with the freeMask as bias?
I am trying some like that right now, but struggle with the right distribution formula.

to correct myself, that would result in added surface tension. as those points go towards their average. and not spread out 

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2020 at 2:58 PM, sekow said:

to correct myself, that would result in added surface tension. as those points go towards their average. and not spread out 

Hey Sekow!

Sorry for the delay and Happy New Year!

Regards distribution, for example you can use the embedded particle separate option that came with the flip solver, that will give you much better particle distribution than to use high particle count with reseeding on. One of the problems with this general separation is that the fluid tends to inflate without room for clumping, so you need a force that counteract this and to find a better equilibrium between them. Divergence can help here as well.

• Like 1

On 13.1.2021 at 7:32 PM, Pazuzu said:

Hey Sekow!

Sorry for the delay and Happy New Year!

Regards distribution, for example you can use the embedded particle separate option that came with the flip solver, that will give you much better particle distribution than to use high particle count with reseeding on. One of the problems with this general separation is that the fluid tends to inflate without room for clumping, so you need a force that counteract this and to find a better equilibrium between them. Divergence can help here as well.

yeah, it should be applied locally where needed. which is possible with the gas particle separation dop as we can apply it to a group or pop stream.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...