Rendering in Houdini Section

I just realized that we don't have a forum for Rendering in the 'Houdini' section...

this would be a section for mantra, file formats (deep rasters etc) etc...while the use of other renderers would remain in the areas already there...

Maybe the "Coders corner" should be reorganized a bit.

Create a new section and call it "Rendering" than move "Renderman"

and "Mental Ray" in there and also add "Mantra in" there.

And in "Coders Corner" besides "HDK" and "VEX" add "HScript" and

"Scripting Language"

Those last three are actually different things and maybe it would make a sense to discuss them separately?!

My two cents.

Hey all

There is a slight concern with having too many sections in the forum. As it is I still think we have too many. :). But then I'm a stickler for simplicity..

But these are good suggestions, so we may as well do them ;). J, do you want to do the honours?

Ciao

Marc

I don't see why we shouldn't consolidate Mantra, Renderman and mental ray into one "Rendering" forum. It's not like there is a barrage of new threads in the current sections that would warrant seperate forums. I also don't like too many sections, especially on such a small board, it's a weird pet pieve of mine.

i know i haven't been around here nearly as long as any of you guys, but my input is along with DaJuice's comments.. i enjoy consolidation unless that a specific category warrants a new section due to an over-abundance of similar posts..

ok so here's the plan. We combine all of the various render's into one uber forum for the moment until there is enough demand to split them again.

I'll then add a 'scripting' forum which will include VEX, Hscript, Javascript, Python, tcl/tk and any other scripting language that Houdini can use. Again, if demand for one particular topic gets too great, then we'll branch it off into its own forum.

So for the moment we'll have :

Rendering (Mantra, prman, mentalray)

Scripting (long list of scripting thingy's)

HDK

Also, I'm thinking of adding a why_don't_we_have_php_support_yet??? forum... Do you think there will be any demand for that? ;)

hehe

Marc

yoink!!! : This all might change when I get round to installing the new forum version, since it has the capacity to include sub-forums. So we'll do a re-shuffle then then ....then... er.... ?

While I do like simplicity to a point, I think that the SESI forums are too simple.

ha! silly me...

Well fair enough then, no sub forums (for the moment ;)). I'll go ahead and consolidate all the other forums today.

cheerio

Marc

do a tracert (on Windows) or a traceroute (on Linux) to www.sidefx.com. What you do get? It seems to me that the problem is *where* they're on the internet as opposed to the actual server itself.

wow... i dont think i've ever seen so many hops before...

tht.customer.tor.nac.net seemed to be longest one until it timed out on the 18th hop.