Houdini 14 Wishlist

LaidlawFX

For all of Houdini's scripting panes to be able to use a third party program within it. So if you like use sublime, notepad++, you can have those ui float within Houdini. In general, the sticky notes, the python shell, the hscript shell, the edit expression window, the python source editor, etc are all bare bones features. If I need to go to another app just because it so much easier when the code gets long.. it be nice if was just hooked directly in. So you could go to your scripting preferences, and pick from the install editors on your machine, something like the render engine menu. In a future world it be even cooler if SideFX made modules for the most common editors so tool tips and Houdini sensitive color editing would work. Save SideFX some of the long feature list that are already GNU in other programs.

Edited by LaidlawFX

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mantragora

Add option to RMB menu, when you click on parameter, to highlight each node that references this parameter in current network view.

BTW: Is there possibility to add custom option to RMB parameter menu with HDK or Python (and get on what parameter we pressed)?

Edited by mantragora
  • Like 1

Add option to RMB menu, when you click on parameter, to highlight each node that references this parameter in current network view.

BTW: Is there possibility to add custom option to RMB parameter menu with HDK or Python (and get on what parameter we pressed)?

it seems to me that it is impossible with python

Are you talking about an equivalent of the dependency graph?

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini13.0/ref/windows/network_display_opts#idm47461709642400

Highlight like select to be editable, or highlight like to be displayed?

If you want to select them for editing, you might be able to build a list in python of parameters, string edit their values and find any ch style reference, edit those references into a cleaned up list, and then you can select them... long and painful

Guest mantragora

Are you talking about an equivalent of the dependency graph?

If you have asset and some parameter on it and you want to edit the asset and find each node that references this parameter, can you do this with dependency graph? Because I don't think that "Show References to/from..." is helping much. I wan't to select parameter on the asset, RMB on it and grab all the nodes that references it, but only it. I don't need to see info that other nodes also reference some outside node. And if the asset inside network is open in current network view, it should select those nodes.

I now how to filter nodes, so I could buid it myself, but I would like to have it as a RMB option when selecting parameter.

Edited by mantragora

i have slowly a feeling there must be soon some news about the Houdini 13.5 release.... when i see the build number from H13..... would be nice to have some teasers or a date :-) 

saldy i wasn^t at fmx so i couldn't do this at the sesi booth:
not mount splashmore but "when can we have houdini 13.5..."....

www.youtube.com/embed/riiKTQ0lQns

Edited by Mandrake0

i have slowly a feeling there must be soon some news about the Houdini 13.5 release.... when i see the build number from H13..... would be nice to have some teasers or a date :-) 

saldy i wasn^t at fmx so i couldn't do this at the sesi booth:

not mount splashmore but "when can we have houdini 13.5..."....

www.youtube.com/embed/riiKTQ0lQns

There might not be a 13.5, I think 12.5 was special in that regard. I wasn't around then but I don't think there was a 9.5, 10.5 or 11.5 (?). It would be nice sure, but I'd rather they spend more time on 14 and fix the viewport once and for all ;)

Guest tar

13+ will be rad but has everyone really used all the new stuff released in H13?

Re: Viewport - which issues are you having? It's working really well here.

I've been all over using AttribWrangle tons of RBD Packed Objects, packed primitives, the new POPs and a bunch of the VDB Particle Fluid mesh stuff. So yeah I think they are rad :-D

I still have the ghosting of geometry effect, where if you work in your scene for long enough and you go through the panes or dive in and out of nodes to fast the viewport can't keep up, and a copy of the geometry from that scene gets ghosted in the viewport. You either need to dive back into the node from whence you came, or close that viewport and open another. I do it almost every day but, I have not been able to duplicate it to a simple case repeatable case.

Plus there are still 4 different viewport types constant, headlight, normal light, and high quality lighting that I need to switch between a little to often to be happy with.

Also OGL shading/shaders in Houdini are crap... You can only build them with extra render parameters, that are pretty bland and you have to get pretty creative to reflective their usage in production shaders.

There still a bunch of active issues in this thread alone. Yes it's more stable, but def needs a lot more love. You definitely need to experience another program to know the difference. Comparing Houdini standards with Houdini only works for bug issues, not what the state of the industry around has done. Like a bifrost to dops comparison, or more relevant Maya's Viewport 2.0 to Houdini's viewport, albeit something like Modo is a better example.

plus a few other feature that can only come until h14... :( 

Guest tar

plus a few other feature that can only come until h14... :(

I'll hunt for the ghosting fx - there was a recent fix that is in the latest production build. H13.0.401 at least on OsX with CopySop

Time to test Maya2015, though last time Houdini smashed the Maya viewport on a like-for-like geo ;)  If anyone has something to test with please upload.

Guest mantragora

There might not be a 13.5, I think 12.5 was special in that regard. I wasn't around then but I don't think there was a 9.5, 10.5 or 11.5 (?). It would be nice sure, but I'd rather they spend more time on 14 and fix the viewport once and for all ;)

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=166&Itemid=55

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=2460&sid=626f7570231f24f9a29b1f9b2245eec7

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=506&Itemid=66

https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2001&Itemid=66

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?Itemid=66&id=1277&option=com_content&task=view

I started from 6.5 on a 128MB AMD Athlon 64 with 32Mb GeForce MX200 (or 400). First 3d model I did was ET leg from my old toy. This computer barely could handle it :D

Edited by mantragora

Guest mantragora

Make multiline display correctly in "CallBack Script" and Channel => "Defaults" fields of the operator, so when I paste my multiline expression there it still looked like:

{
   one = ch("one");
   two = ch("two");

return clamp(one, 0.001, two);
}
and was not flattened to

{    one = ch("one");    two = ch("two");    return clamp(one, 0.001, two);    }
Edited by mantragora
  • Like 1

I think there will be a 13.5 release. At least the Documents section at sidefx.com has an url for 13.5

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini13.5/

Only for beta users. But stil,l no link for 14.0 :)

Edited by LouisXIV

Not to sway speculation one way or another :)  but we often bump to a point version after a major release. This makes it easier to release a .5 release if needed, than attempting to wind the version number backwards. H11 was originally 10.5, for example. It's sort of like reserving the right to release a quick point release.