Minute Houdini Tips

gaurav

You are welcome  :)  

@guarav: Thanks for the tutorial, I tried to complete the setup but mine does not work like yours. I am using Houdini H14. Can someone take a look at my file and tell me what I did wrong?

Try increasing particle radius scale. .05 is too low i believe defaults is > 1.

Cheers!

Thanks for the tip. I did increase the particle radius and that makes the particles larger but I still do not get any 'sloshing' action out of this rig. I notice some kind of parenting trickery happens very quickly near the end of the video. Just to clarify do I bake my sim with fetch_sim as the child of source or do I bake then parent?

Can someone post their working version of this effect as a HIP file perhaps..?

Edited by Atom

Thanks for the HIP file, that works!

Next question, how would I render this?

I have tried adding a camera and lights but the image is always blank.

Ah, now I see. The out/liquid ROP you have already setup.

Edited by Atom

One more question.

I swapped the cube with a sphere and it does not work. The fluid looks great on frame #1 but then it dissapates and is gone completely by frame #7. How do I use this system with other shapes?

I am attaching my file if anyone has time to take a look.

ap_contained_FLIP_fluid_1b.hipnc

Edited by Atom

• 1 month later...

I think the problem I am having with this technique is that it only works with a cube. The volume is cube in nature and when you try shapes other than a cube the FlipSolver 'kill outside volume limits' removes particles that do not fall within the cube. So a non-cube based shape simply leaks all the fluid out as time passes.

I would still like to know if there is a way to use a shape other than a cube, for instance hollow font characters.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Atom, I see now that your post is from a while ago so maybe you've got it figured out...

If you add a slight negative Offset to your isooffset node (or use Ray Intersect mode) and increase your FLIP volume limit it should work with your sphere.

I think the problem I am having with this technique is that it only works with a cube. The volume is cube in nature and when you try shapes other than a cube the FlipSolver 'kill outside volume limits' removes particles that do not fall within the cube. So a non-cube based shape simply leaks all the fluid out as time passes.

I would still like to know if there is a way to use a shape other than a cube, for instance hollow font characters.

ap_contained_FLIP_fluid_1c.hipnc

Thanks Paul, I never did figure that one out so it helps to have a solution. My original intent was to try self-contained fluid inside iconic shapes such as test tubes, wine glass or other typical graphic design elements that might be fluid containers.