Start my autodidact learn to Houdini and FX

DanielXimenesCarballo

Hello everyone,

My name is Daniel Ximenes and I'm a boy from Barcelona (​​Spain), who wants to start his career in the FX (specifically simulations, pyro, etc.) with Houdini directly.

I studied a Master in VFX where I learned the basics of FX in Maya and now want to jump in and teach himself Houdini.

The problem is that reading I found so much information that I have collapsed.

I wrote to a friend, Pablo Gimenez, FX TD at Double Negative and recommended me go in this forum that would help me a lot to find a learning system to follow.

And here I'm, turning to you to program a Learning Path to start with Houdini based lectures and tutorials, online courses payment as digital Tutors, Cmvifx, FXPDH, etc.

Honestly the only thing I like is like an "path" I ordered what I should be learning to not wanting to face anything without having a base.

I hope you can help me!

Greetings and happy to be here.

Daniel.

start here:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=247&Itemid=403

then refine the area you are interested in here:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=14&Itemid=132

on the right hand side are things like First Steps and Next Steps...

Yes, these all have already seen and worked, I would say take the next step!

Hi,

I think if you want to learn Houdini you might want to start by concentrating on SOPs, since that's where most of the magic really happens. :)

Once you get the logic of how to work procedurally then you can pick up the rest of it. 

My suggestion would be to give yourself a project to do and go about trying to finish that from beginning to end in Houdini. That's the way I ended up switching to Houdini after I left 3ds max. 

Edited by rohandalvi
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey,

I teach an intro and a fluids course for CG Society.  My Intro course starts again in the beginning of Nov.  Ive received very positive feedback over the years from students who have taken this course.   The course is designed to not only show examples of creating effects, but we really dig deep on the fundamentals behind creating fx which is paramount to becoming a solid fx artist.  

http://www.cgsociety.org/training/course/introduction-to-fx-using-houdini

Let me know if you have any questions!

Spencer

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Spencer,

What amount of time would you recomment to put aside when joining your FX Workshop. Im working full time in the moment and did not enrolled for a cgsociety workshop for now. So I´m uncertain if I can spend enough time for it besides the work.

On cgsociety they recomment to put aside six to eight ours a week. That would of course be possible but I doubt that this is enough time ?!

It would be nice to here from you.

kind regards 

Jonathan

Edited by jon3de

• 4 months later...

Bon dia, Daniel, com estás? Mes val tard que mai - aquí tens la meva resposta...

Our team at Gridmarkets just published an artist profile featuring Houdini artist Ben Watts: http://www.gridmarkets.com/ben-watts.html. His tutorials are great. At the bottom of the article you will find a list of other paid and free Houdini tutorials and courses that you may find useful in your learning process. Good luck and say hi to our fellow Barcelona citizens for me.

Best,

Patricia

• Like 1