Compressing methods for caches

Hi Guys,

I am literally running out of space and I would like to ask you a question:

During one of the workshop I followed, the tutor suggested to use the extension "bgeo.sc".
I previously used "bgeo.gz".

Does anybody know which one is the best and why?

Cheers!

Andrea

bgeo.sc is newer with H15 I think? 

If you are caching volumes, converting to VDB and saving as 16-bit saves roughly half the space usually. If you are saving points/geometry, delete any attributes that you won't be needing before caching.

I actually just wrote a blog post on this topic. The basic gist is to delete any attributes or fields that you don't need for your purposes.  In particular, get rid of vectors.  They take up so much space.  So vel fields and attributes if you are not guiding geometry or driving any other systems with it, or temperature/heat/fuel fields if you aren't using them for shading.  It is really just about using only what is needed.  There is also an option for compressing fields on Pyro sims, but I haven't played with that one yet.

You could even just calculate motion vectors in Nuke with the MotionBlur plug-in. Not as accurate but certainly can do in a pinch!