Linux partitioning scheme

gpapaioa

Hello everyone,

Building a new machine and I am about to install Centos 7. The system has 64gb ram and I am using one 512gb SSD just for OS and another big 2T western digital for data. 

Can anyone recommend a proper partitioning scheme (cache, root, home, swap) for good performance? Thank you.

Edited by gpapaioa

1 hour ago, Atom said:

Hope this is not too off topic. But I recently installed Centos 7 and after the install all I got was a prompt. Is this normal?

Does Centos 7 have a desktop?

Did you install server version? If you installed desktop version then check your runlevel. To get gui it must be set to 5.

I may have chosen the minimal ISO, it has a been a while since I ran the install. I basically said to myself "well that didn't work" and moved on. Now that I revisit the webpage I see there is an Everything ISO. Which ISO do you guys use?

Edited by Atom

• 2 months later...
On 24/9/2016 at 9:14 PM, Atom said:

I may have chosen the minimal ISO, it has a been a while since I ran the install. I basically said to myself "well that didn't work" and moved on. Now that I revisit the webpage I see there is an Everything ISO. Which ISO do you guys use?

You should select the gnome UI when you install CentOS. I try to install on virtual machine (VMWare Player) CentOS7 and I used the first of this link - http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/7/isos/x86_64/CentOS-7-x86_64-DVD-1511.iso

For help on installation see that - 

Mat

Atom, hope you have better luck than I did with Centos 7!

I chose minimal install and used RaWrite32 to create my boot USB

For my new Ubuntu MATE install

4 partitions on a 1TB SSD all ext4

1 boot bios 200 MB
2 swap disk 8 GB (I have 64GB RAM)
3 root 20 GB
4 home -remainder of SSD less  70 GB (7% Total unallocated for over provisioning )

There seems to be some conflicting information regarding the necessity and size for a swap disk.
Also would like to know what others use for swap. Most recommendations suggest equal to up 2x the amount of RAM you have, but I think this only applies for RAM amounts <8GB.

Used these instructions for installing my DE, MATE in this case

When it comes to Nvidia drivers, well, THAT is the reason I am switching to Ubuntu
To much conflicting and incorrect information online.

But my recommendation is to NOT use the rpmfusion repos and instead use elrepo with kmod-nvidia.

Yes I am a Linux newbie, but don't want to spend another weekend figuring out why Houdini crashes on launch (google houdini caught signal 11 crash)
or other apps (VLC, ffmpeg) don't install because of missing dependencies, etc
Edited by art3mis