Jump to content
violalyu

How to use mask field node in DOP Network in RBD sim?

Recommended Posts

Hi Houdini friends,

Does anyone know how to use mask field in DOP net? I'm doing a simulation of leaves on the ground reacting to a car passing by. I need to control the wind force to affect only where the car is passing, where other leaves remains more still. Is there any way to mask out the affected area and have the wind force only affect that area and have dynamic change on the mask object? Or if there's other ways to do this? Thank you so much!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool, that is a nice example file. You can also plug the mask in to gravity, reverse the gravity direction and have particles rise up only when the box passes through them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Atom said:

Cool, that is a nice example file. You can also plug the mask in to gravity, reverse the gravity direction and have particles rise up only when the box passes through them.

 

Thanks Atom, that's a nice idea!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2016 at 8:44 AM, fencer said:

Hi fencer, I have another problem of this. After the leaves rise up they need to be not affected by the force anymore, but this method it continue to affect the leaves, so they never fall on the ground again. Is there any solution to that? Thanks!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems to work for me, there is a gravity force following the wind. You do have to play with the numbers on the Wind Force. This GIF shows the windforce adjusted so the Scale Force is 6, was 60 and the Velocity in the Y-AXIS is 10, was 1. So the overall force is similar, 6 * 10 i.e. 60 but it is split between the input channels in a different way.

 

wind_particle_mask.gif

Edited by Atom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Atom said:

It seems to work for me, there is a gravity force following the wind. You do have to play with the numbers on the Wind Force. This GIF shows the windforce adjusted so the Scale Force is 6, was 60 and the Velocity in the Y-AXIS is 10, was 1. So the overall force is similar, 6 * 10 i.e. 60 but it is split between the input channels in a different way.

 

wind_particle_mask.gif

Thanks Atom! I'll try this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys
I'm trying to modify the fencer hip example by adding some noise into the box volume, so what I need is to make kind of noisy shape of the mask to affect the particles

I simply  put volumevop with some noise after the isooffset but all the setup is not working this way, the particles start moving out of the box mask.
Does Sop Scalar Field allows me to do it basically ?

thanks

h_mask.jpg

Edited by JDee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, JDee said:

Hey guys
I'm trying to modify the fencer hip example by adding some noise into the box volume, so what I need is to make kind of noisy shape of the mask to affect the particles

I simply  put volumevop with some noise after the isooffset but all the setup is not working this way, the particles start moving out of the box mask.
Does Sop Scalar Field allows me to do it basically ?

thanks

h_mask.jpg

 

DOP_mask_field_v02.hip

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys this was really handy, I was also wondering how can we mask forces by other attributes.  Say you wanted gravity only on particles that had reached a certain velocity.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2020-09-10 at 6:52 PM, oaschwab said:

Is there a way to blur the mask so that it has a soft falloff?

Sure, just multiply input volume values. Make gradien 0 to 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×