Insert Many Edge Loops - HELP!

Sunwolz

Is there any ways to insert multiple edge loops?  As in, REDO the instrument many times. 

I'm a professional 3d modeller in Maya, and it drives me CRAZY that I have to ALWAYS MANUALLY assign a whole node to such a trivial and self-repeating task. Right now, my pipeline is this:

Create PolySplit node(afterwards "Q" to repeat), change mode to "edge loop" -> insert the node into my NodeNetwork -> make edge loop.

REALLY. I have to insert like 40-50 UNIQUE edge loops on a piece of a model, and it seems like HELL right now.

There is a tool in the "Polygon" shelf in the top, that says "Edge Loop", but when I activate it, it always branches out a different rout in my NodeNetwork, making the whole "procedural" thing a mess.

ALSO, Is there a way to see the Smooth(Subdivided) preview of what you are modelling, while you model it. Like, insert edge loops on to a smoothed version of the model, and see the changes on the fly.

Please help!

Edited by Sunwolz

>Drop down a Divide node and turn OFF convex. Then turn on Bricker and lower the scale. This will gridify your object providing loop cuts to manipulate further down stream.

This doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for.

> for visual fedback on subDiv, press +

Yea, thnx. That is exactly the thing!

> I don't see your pb with the edgeloop  shelftool, it works just fine, and doesn't create "another route" in the network. Just a polysplit.

In my case, it does branching. Mby my Houdini is cursed. I can see potential horrendous problems with this issue for my intended future work pipeline.

x1.jpg

x2.jpg

Edited by Sunwolz

It does branching because you had the edit2 node before the merge1 selected when you used the tool. If you did not want branching then simply select the merge1 first, then use the tool. Or just drop the new node on the line between the line edit2 and merge1.

Even if you free form modeled ten nodes down a split path, it would not matter, you could always just take that alternate path and merge it back in or invert delete what you don't want etc...

30 minutes ago, Atom said:

It does branching because you had the edit2 node before the merge1 selected when you used the tool. If you did not want branching then simply select the merge1 first, then use the tool. Or just drop the new node on the line between the line edit2 and merge1.

Even if you free form modeled ten nodes down a split path, it would not matter, you could always just take that alternate path and merge it back in or invert delete what you don't want etc...

I understood all of what you said, and... it is kinda not what I asked about originally... You didn't catch my point.

At this moment, I guess it's just the software itself really, and its limitations in certain areas. I have made some changes in my modelling procedure, and will have to do with what Houdini can offer to work around such issues. 

Anyways, thnx for all the answers guys.

Fwiw it's not branching here on MacOS and is working as you intend it too, in fact it's very hard to make it branch!

You'd normally have to be in the node graph, select the output and shift-enter key to make it branch. 

Try removing the Houdini preferences folder.

I think the issue is that OP is manually adding the polysplit node in the Network view. When you hit "Q", it's going to default to creating the default polysplit node.

However, if you create the edge loop directly in the view port (Tab in viewport > Edge loop), you should be able to use "Q" to keep creating edge loops easily after that. It will automatically drop down the polysplit node for you, with the edge loop mode selected. Try it. 

• Like 1