PC Build : which hardware component for simulations

vlb6

Hi there,

I recently saw a post over on the C4DCafe forum :

https://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/forums/topic/96539-requirements-for-speeding-up-simulations/#comment-641429

I am currently building a PC for animation, simulations, dynamics, rendering (although this would be in C4D), large scale photo editing, VFX, video editing etc, so this has got me thinking ; I don't exactly know what 'core features' means but I imagine it's a term for the 'back-end' way the software integrates with the hardware, so how does Houdini interact with the hardware? what parts does it utilize for these aspects of the 3D pipeline .. animation, simulations and dynamics?? and therefore my main question: which components do I need to focus on when doing the build to ensure I can do some advanced setups and still have reasonable viewports response, not too much waiting around etc.

Just for extra info here as some components I've decided on:

i7-6800
Asus X99-E
GTX 1080 Ti
64GB RAM

Hope this question was clear and thanks in advance

I don't know whether C4D uses the GPU to accelerate simulation/rendering - if it does, then the 1080Ti can be a good idea, if it doesn't, then you might be better off with e.g. a 1070 and use the budget somewhere else.

That is a good call, I have a 1070 and it works fine.

Ultimately I have had no success in leveraging GPU for final simulations in Houdini. It does help out during the development stage when you are working at a lower resolution or just learning the tool set. But when you move up to higher resolutions, which can requires days of simulation, there is more chance the OpenCL will crash and ruin everything causing you to start over again. This has happened to me consistently when trying to leverage OpenCL for hi-res simulations, in the end I always opt for turning off OpenCL just to get through the process successfully. I thought having 8GB of vRAM on the card would really help out but I can't verify that it does. (Redshift loves it though...)

Edited by Atom

Guest tar

It's worth keeping in mind that OpenCL is now in used in the Sops like terrain and the muscles, not just DOPs. OpenCL is a core part of the speeding up Houdini in the future. Also inbuilt CPU OpenCL makes turning off OpenCL redundent.

Edited by tar

Regarding OpenCl,im having slower performance on a 1070 than on Ryzen

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jnl9lzf60wawghp/BenchFlip.rar?dl=0

Open the scene,let flip update,mark playone on timeline
Activate opencl,activate performance,play it

I take the Total statistics value

Ryzen 1800X Stock 
64GB DDR4 Kingston CMK16GX4M1B3000C15 2128
1070GTX

CPU        13.263s
CPUOpenCl    13.633s
OpenCL1070GTX    14.026s