Procedural City

Andz

Yeah -- should do.  It was a feature added at old_school's request to make just that.  I can't wait to see pretty pictures made with it :)

21026[/snapback]

Yeaaah, old_skool - give it up!

Hey, did you get my request to have $PR in the CarveSOP? ;) Variable length hair and grass...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the $PR local variable access! So nice!

Here are three iterations of PolyExtrude and $PR (with some specialized grouping).

Rendered with Full Irradiance - 64 samples + Irradiance Caching. Post glow added to very bright areas (High Dynamic image was rendered).

post-4-1125707300_thumb.jpg

Hahah those are realy nice! That realy looks like Greeble for Max but with more control.

AdamJ - can you make that loop? :D

Marc - no problem in hijacking at all, I'm learning Houdini for the fun of it, more cities in this thread will be "more fun"!!

Here is an update to my city.

I did two things over this that I would like your comments.

1 - I wanted to have diferent controls over my grid, so I sent it to a subnet and added my custom parameters creating spare channels

2 - For creating a local variable I created an ADD SOP just to hold a number because I was thinking in turning this new grid type into an OTL.

Are these the best way to solve the two problems?

citymaker_01_B.zip

post-847-1125894395_thumb.jpg

great one!.. i must thank you all.. i finally clearified completely the Stamp function thanks to this "challenge" :D

thanks all.

useless to psot my city since its directly archivied from you're hints.. but hey .. that's great.. i'll try to find another usefull way to use it and I'll post it as soon as I'll find a nice example :)

cheers.

looking good Andz.

using the round function when generating the random numbers ive made the copy SOP increment in integers.. so buildings are 1-8 floors high, not just the random 3.44 floors for example. ok cool - and same for width and length - the buildings base can either be 1x1, 1x2, 2x1 or 2x2 units.

something that puzzles me though - the logic of this should be fairly easy but im not sure how to implement it. How would you approach it to make city blocks of 4x4 - so for example if a building was 1x2, its neighbour would also have to be 1x2 ... if it was 1x1 you could have a 1x2 neighbour and another 1x1 neighbour.. do you see what i mean?

this question is mostly rhetorical i still want to try to solve it but i thought it put it out there :D

the possibilites really are endless. id like to make a bunch of different textures and using a switch sop make them randomly assigned. thats next :)

as above my results arent much different from whats here already but when its looking a bit better ill post it :)

Hey Andz,

Any development on some more cool renders for your city yet? :)

21126[/snapback]

Sorry, I was two days out celebrating independence day and city's aniversary.

I started playing with shader just to get some time out of modeling. But I had no luck. Any one knows why I just can't get STAMP to work on RGB channels?

Sorry, I was two days out celebrating independence day and city's aniversary.

I started playing with shader just to get some time out of modeling. But I had no luck. Any one knows why I just can't get STAMP to work on RGB channels?

21147[/snapback]

lol... i was just writing the same... I've been playing all night long about the same problem.. cause i wanted to create a room plenty of chair, randomly positioned and (possibly) randomly "shape generated".. and random objects on top of the chairs.. but when the shader color when in the flow of trying to "randomize" i went into the same problem.. seems the stamp aint working on the RGB channels of the color shaders.

I'll keep my eyes here for any answer.

cheers!

I think you're running into the common problem of how does one render the attribute Cd rather than something to do with stamp? In order for the shader to pick up your attribute, you need have it be named the same as your shader parameter. So a simple way to do this conversion is using the AttribCreate SOP. I've attached an example using the regular VEX Marble shader.

stamp_colors.zip

I think you're running into the common problem of how does one render the attribute Cd rather than something to do with stamp? In order for the shader to pick up your attribute, you need have it be named the same as your shader parameter. So a simple way to do this conversion is using the AttribCreate SOP. I've attached an example using the regular VEX Marble shader.

21154[/snapback]

damn .. well.. i'm really into this just now .. (thanks to this really really helpfull thread, at least to me) .. and i'm proud to say that I was in the right way .. but it was 4:30 am last night.. and i'm not really yet a master with "attribute" SOPs ... thanks a lot for clearifying this now .

cheers.

THANKS again for the precious informations and helps from this thread...

here's my nooby result after i finally got also the random color handling (thanks for the attribute help)

attached ther's a little render of my resulting scene (i know.. ther's no buildings :D) and the scene (well.. nothing new to you)

about the render... i'm trying to use RAT HDRI files.. i used two lights, one for the GI and one for the shadow... but as you'll see in the pictures the photons quality sucks... i should had properly set te quality in render node and light parameters but still sucks.

I'll check further on since I can remind about a "passes with houdini" tutorial somewhere.

I just wanted to share my littel exercise about what I learnd from this topic.

oh, I also made a city obviosuly... but i preferred to start from scratch with a differnt scene since I'm pointing at building a procedural "chair", like the building somehow, but with chair customization. why the chair?.. well.. this has also been a great opportunity to 'see' how to model a simple object, learn shortcuts and useing the viewport only.. and such chair was easy enought for such purpose.

cheers!

post-490-1126301572_thumb.jpg

stamp_chair_stamp_color.zip