Procedural City

Andz

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

This is a greate thread!!! Now another thing I was wondering is how to make those type of scenes more lightweight? Copy SOP is great, but you have all that time making ifd file before render, plus memmory usage.

On oposite Instancing is a greate tool, if it was possible to randomize it. Is it possible to simplify geometry with some instancing or something else? Like instancing some of the buildings, so it is still random. Any thoughts?

This is a greate thread!!! Now another thing I was wondering is how to make those type of scenes more lightweight? Copy SOP is great, but you have all that time making ifd file before render, plus memmory usage.

On oposite Instancing is a greate tool, if it was possible to randomize it. Is it possible to simplify geometry with some instancing or something else? Like instancing some of the buildings, so it is still random. Any thoughts?

There is an [almost experimental] Mantra procedural dso called "HscriptInstance" which will ask for each building to be generated according to input parameters. It's a bit slow if there are hundreds of buildings but it shows enormous potential. Perhaps SESI would consider upgrading it if gets a lot of usage? We often flirt with the idea of using it for crowds but never manage to get around to commiting to it because it's better at handling fewer+complex objects than many smaller+simpler objects.

I believe Peter Bowmar demonstrates its usage in one of his videos out there..

There is an [almost experimental] Mantra procedural dso called "HscriptInstance" which will ask for each building to be generated according to input parameters. It's a bit slow if there are hundreds of buildings but it shows enormous potential. Perhaps SESI would consider upgrading it if gets a lot of usage? We often flirt with the idea of using it for crowds but never manage to get around to commiting to it because it's better at handling fewer+complex objects than many smaller+simpler objects.

this sounds very interesting, I've never heard about Peter's video covering this feature. Just simple instancing via variables pipe-in into the mantra...

this could be VERY powerfull feature! Just send mantra definition and variables. Crowds, fields, stars, cities etc etc. Why SESI stoped development of this? Where can I find it in Houdini?

Yeah, Jeff Wagner showed me this a long time ago, I remember trying it (for lots of very small, simple objects) but it was really slowwwwwwww....I think it might have been firing up an hscript process each for each instance? It does seem to have enormous potential though, I'd like to learn more about it!

-JS-

• 2 weeks later...
Hi FrenchOP, looks like this ideia went a long way.

http://odforce.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=4359

Congratulations on the new DVD.

Thanks, the DVD is about procedural modeling of cities but mainly as a key example to teach "proceduralism", and why "Houdini makes the difference". This was the first idea, to present a DVD which shows effective differences between procedural and non procedural approaches.

Then the idea of modeling a city like Paris came to my mind as a good example for that. Maybe a next DVD with a city "building itself" ...

• 1 month later...
I've found THIS really nice animation, based on Clarke's Rendez-vous with Rama.

You can also read the Making Of PDF.

WHOA PAPI! That was fantastic. I really enjoyed the Halo vibe too, with the curvature of the terrain and the atomspherics, very nicely done (so does that mean Halo ripped off the Rama novel?) I coulda done without the few shots of the space shuttle in there, that seemed out of place and detracted from the pastoral aesthetic IMHO. But that was a remarkable procedural work, the PDF is a fairly interesting read too...