Maya

Marc

Why does anyone use this anymore? What a horrible piece of software....

I've always claimed there was a place for all software... now that I actually have to use Maya, I'm being forced to seriously reconsider my position.

icon8.gif

Why does anyone use this anymore? What a horrible piece of software....

I've always claimed there was a place for all software... now that I actually have to use Maya, I'm being forced to seriously reconsider my position.

icon8.gif

22019[/snapback]

oh cmon marc, maya is a good peice of software, true it isnt a houdini, but its not 3d max either...

its somewhere in between...

Maya shines in animation and modelling, even though houdini is very flexible, many animators support and use maya...

every software DOES have its place, but in the end of the day its only a tool...

Somewhere, a Max user just got really offended :).

I know people love this software, but for the life of me I can't see why. oh well, it'll all be over soon (my use of Maya, not Maya itself... although that might happen too ;))

M

Somewhere, a Max user just got really offended :).

I know people love this software, but for the life of me I can't see why. oh well, it'll all be over soon (my use of Maya, not Maya itself... although that might happen too ;))

M

22030[/snapback]

hey marc

why on earth are u forced to use that tool?

project requirements?

all the best

aracid

although that might happen too

we can only hope.. ;)

why on earth are u forced to use that tool?

from my understanding, sony is very maya centric.. they use houdini, but maya is much more predominate.. of course this is all through hear-say so take it with a grain of salt because i could be totally wrong..

my deal with maya (and why i can't stick with it to learn anything indepth) is how sloppy it feels when i use it.. it's not that i don't think it's capable of doing great things, it's just that i feel dirty when using it..everything always feels like a mess or a hack.. maybe it's cause i'm somewhat of a maya noob and get too frustrated with it before getting a full grasp.. and come running back to houdini as soon as i can of course :D

i do have to agree with hok though.. the dynamic interfaces through mel can be nice..

we can only hope.. ;)

from my understanding, sony is very maya centric..

22049[/snapback]

hey deecue

you're right, they are a very big maya house, but the reason why i was wondering about marcs use of it, was because of his work at sidefx and dd as a houdini user, what makes him to use maya ?

:-)

my deal with maya (and why i can't stick with it to learn anything indepth) is how sloppy it feels when i use it.. it's not that i don't think it's capable of doing great things, it's just that i feel dirty when using it..everything always feels like a mess or a hack.. maybe it's cause i'm somewhat of a maya noob and get too frustrated with it before getting a full grasp.. and come running back to houdini as soon as i can of course :D

22049[/snapback]

Funny, that's exactly how I feel (dirty).... it feels sloppy, and there are weird interface bugs that should've been addressed along time ago (selecting issues etc.). It just doesn't seem to have been refined much since the first version.

you're right, they are a very big maya house, but the reason why i was wondering about marcs use of it, was because of his work at sidefx and dd as a houdini user, what makes him to use maya ?

22051[/snapback]

Our pipeline for the stuff we're doing consists of Maya->Houdini->Maya->Houdini->Renderman. At least two of the Maya steps are entirely redundant, I feel like we may as well start and end in Houdini. We're certainly not doing anything in Maya that Houdini can't do, however all the animators are in Maya, so we need to have some representation of the work on that side of things.

Well, if I'm quick enough then I can get all the Maya work done and never look back... lets hope.

M

I feel your pain.

I remember when I was using it, (I felt dirty too) I thought about all that UserInterface stuff I had heard about and I wondered.... how do you call repeatedly popping up windows which make you drill down will all those options UI design? I know that is harsh but really you almost have to pop up for anything. I guess that's where those little buttons of mel come in handy. The next thing to get over is the spaceBar. Once you can force your mind to unlearn when to use the spaceBar it gets easier.

Just keep your head down and you will get through it.

-k

Yep. Many times I've seen a maya artist start at a new facility only to discover minutes after sitting down at a worksation that they've come to depend entirely on the (to their surprise) custom mel scripts that were used at their last place of employment.

This sounds really strange. I mean strange when you try to compare such statement to SideFXs marketing bull shits like something like that: Houdini artist have no problems using other 3D apps becouse Houdini is so much procedural and so much close to origin of 3D, I saw it somewere over the net, maybe on SideFX site, don't remember :-/

It's funny but good car doesn't make good driver and when you see bad driver who drive Ferrari you can think Ferrari is piece a shit right?

When I look at myself and my Houdini projects and Houdini knowledge I see both suckz, so it shuld mean Houdini suckz, right?. I think when somebody could sit near at me and see what I do in Houdini he could think: "Houdini, God what a crappy piece a software". Then let him to see in action any Houdini pro and he'll change his point of view.

Looks like another apps war, pffff I don' care. Just my point of view. Oh, and I like Alias software. Maya, Sraya I don't care these are just names. I like it, it works good for me, I can make what I dream, I can realize it. And I like MEL. Of course it takes some time to learn it but it's very usefull. You can do it anything using it.

Talking about interface. Pros use HotBox and marking menus. Hotbox is everywere, it doesn't matter if U r in Hypershade, Hypergraph or other shit, hotbox is there with all stuff U need.

This sounds really strange. I mean strange when you try to compare such statement to SideFXs marketing bull shits like something like that: Houdini artist have no problems using other 3D apps becouse Houdini is so much procedural and so much close to origin of 3D, I saw it somewere over the net, maybe on SideFX site, don't remember :-/

I'm not sure where you get marketing bullshit out of all this. If we consider that I've never used Maya before (only Houdini), I've still managed to pick up what I need to know in a few days and create everything I need.

Just because we can, doesn't mean we have to like it.

I think you've totally misunderstood the post quite frankly. I never claimed my work was shit and therefore blaming the software. Quite the contrary, my work is excellent despite having to fight with a dated clunky piece of cobbled together software (-_-).

You can argue which one is best for your needs til you're blue in the face, that's not the issue here. Plenty of people love maya and manage to work with it to produce beautiful things, I just happen to not be one of those people.

Besides, I've sat in rooms with people who are arguably among the best Maya users in the world, and they too think that Maya's interface leaves alot to be desired. It's due for an overhaul, that's all I'm saying.

If you want to take offence at what I'm saying, go right ahead, I can't stop you. But for me? Well I'm leaving this software behind as quick as I can and I'm never looking back.

M

edit: P.S. You actually thought you'd get an unbiased view of Maya in a Houdini forum? Now that's weird