Wiki Editors Group

Marc

Hi all

In our effort to fight spam on the wiki we've implemented an editing group. I've taken the liberty of adding names that I recognised to the group so you should be able to keep editing as normal.

If I missed you, or you're using a different name (I saw a few duplicates in there), then either pm me or reply here and I'll add you.

Just for some clarification for those who aren't caught up, the group is definitely not meant to be an exclusive group and everyone is still welcome to join and add content to the wiki. However we need to do this to curtail the spam which is becoming impossible to manage.

Hopefully this adds a level of stability to what is turning out to be one of the most comprehensive Houdini docs on the net.

Thanks

the odforce guys.

Hey Marc,

Glad you're doing it this way. It's the best way to handle and manage it, we just need to make sure that new comers and other people are well aware of it.. Maybe something on the home page that says 'Want to contribute to the wiki? Great! Just let us know and you'll become part of the group of editors." And then link to this thread..

Also, are you considering a page at the wiki or somewhere else that is a list of the editors? I know there are probably some people (like myself) who are wondering if they are already in the group but don't want to go edit something real quick and undo it just to make sure..

And now some off topic things.. How does something like the Wikipedia handle spam like this? I mean something as large as that would have to have somthing going on and far as i know, you don't even need to have an account to logon and use it. Also regarding the page of companies that use houdini, I heard a rumor that a52 just recently went to an all maya house. Can anyone clarify this? I was going to take them off but wanted to check before I did..

Ok, I've manually gone through all 113 users on the user list on the odwiki. I've made use of the http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/Special:Contributions/user page.

Here are some users which I think we can make odeditors because they have written something non-spam to the wiki:

- Alex

- Aracid

- Davedjohnson

- George

- Jens

- Mark

- Mark_au

- Martin_G_3D

- Mauritius

- Megalith

- Pete_wallace

- RickWork

- RobertKelly

- StevenOng

Here are some names that I recognize but don't show to have any edits:

- BrianK

- Brucelay

- Daland

- Iamjaideep80

- Rei_Ayanami

- ResidnT

- Sascha

- Stremik

- Thekenny

- Zoki

Also, are you considering a page at the wiki or somewhere else that is a list of the editors? I know there are probably some people (like myself) who are wondering if they are already in the group but don't want to go edit something real quick and undo it just to make sure..

Wow, i guess i should have just taken 5 seconds to find and look over this page...

also, nice work edward.. ;)

Guest xionmark

Hi,

Can you add me to the list please? (MarkStory)

Thanks!

EDIT: Woops, just saw my name on the list ... sorry ... However, for some reason I can't upload images to be placed in a WIKI article.

--Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Martin

The wiki is still down from when we were hacked. I'll be getting it up this week sometime. Once I do, you need to register for the wiki and pm me your username. I'll then add you to the editors group and you'll have full access.

Thanks

Marc

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
uhhh... no.

oh what the hell, ok you're in. :D

Yep - I have a contribution to make as well - on the topic of maya houdini key frame translation. here it is:

Accurate translation of Keyframe info from Maya to Houdini.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Houdini slopes are change-in-value / change-in-time (I believe maya uses

change-in-value/change-in-frame, so beware).

In Houdini, weights - which we call accels - are slope lengths. They correspond to the distance from the control point to the bezier control point. The distance is along the tangent. So, for example, if the next control point is 3.0s later, and 4.0 higher in value, then the accel is 5.0.

Following is the script that Ed Lam wrote on which a Mel script can be based:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let V be value of the key from Maya (and in Houdini).

Let F be frame of the key from Maya (and in Houidni).

Let Angle and Weight be the Maya key parameters.

Let S and A be the Houdini slope and accel values respectively.

Let FPS be the frame rate in Houdini.

Let DT be some arbitrary time delta,

and DF it's corresponding frame delta value.

Let DV be some arbitrary value delta.

Since,

DF = FPS * DT

tan( Angle ) = DV / DF

S = DV / DT

Then the slope for Houdini can be trivially solved as:

S = FPS * tan( Angle )

The A value for Houdini can be similarly solved according to:

DF = FPS * DT

tan( Angle ) = DV / DF

Weight^2 = DF^2 + DV^2

A^2 = DT^2 + DV^2

To obtain:

A = sqrt( Weight^2 - ( Weight^2 / (FPS^2 * (1 +

tan(Angle)*tan(Angle))) ) * (FPS^2 - 1) )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to Ed Lam and Judith Crow from sidefx for putting this together.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...