Basic Vellum Draped Stitched Cloth Vest

Atom

Here is a basic setup for stitching vellum cloth together using the weld seams feature on the vellumdrape solver.

Edge groups are assigned to the garment pattern pieces and define seams that will be stitched/welded.

Untitled-1.jpg.fe3cbb8542bd32d2ccabf76fb4e4736e.jpg

The edge groups are run through a subnet to produce companion point group for the edge groups. The point groups are used for stitching seams. The subnet allows you to increase or decrease the cloth resolution independent of these groups, so it is more like Marvelous Designer particle separation in that respect.

edge_to_points.gif.dc3081084be5130db9cc37506c527183.gif

The vellumdrape solver has been hacked to allow deforming collision geometry. All I did was disable the timeshift node which kept the deforming geometry locked to the start frame.

ap_basic_vellum_drape_vest_101518.hiplc

vellum_coth_flip.gif

Edited by Atom
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Thanks for sharing. Super useful!

Have you ever been successful in layering clothes? ie more than 1 drape in a single network with at least 2 layers, 1 drape for layer 0 or undergarment and a 2nd drape for Layer 2 or overgarment.

No matter what I try I either end up with a successful drape that won't animate, or clothing mesh that explodes when I try and animate.

3 hours ago, Atom said:

I have not, but if I were, I think I would just bake out the resulting first layer and then use that as a collision layer on another single layer drape.

Have you checked out the Sara Rascon tutorials on SideFX?

https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/november-thug-vellum-with-sara-rascon/

Funny you should ask

Yes have watched it now going on 3 times and have even tried replicating her network, albeit on a much simpler scale!

There is something fundamental I am missing. She uses a PinToAnimation technique after a drape on the same network.

Am going to continue trying to deconstruct her example to see where I am going wrong.
Noobini, thanks but does each layer also have its own drape?

you should post a simple case of it not working as you are clearly talking about situation where the individual layers have a lot of attribs attached from previous Drapes and also maybe some unwanted constraints, so then obviously all that coming to a new Vellum Solver may cause issues if not cleaned properly

16 minutes ago, anim said:

you should post a simple case of it not working as you are clearly talking about situation where the individual layers have a lot of attribs attached from previous Drapes and also maybe some unwanted constraints, so then obviously all that coming to a new Vellum Solver may cause issues if not cleaned properly

agree...and because the asker asks lots of questions yet is so precious about uploading his file...I'm not giving him my file.

Have a look around, lots of ppl upload their files for others to study...yet the one asking for a lot of help won't upload his...

3DrapesRun.gif

Thanks for the feedback!

And no I have no problem uploading files which I do all the time. In this instance haven't had time to simplify my original file enough Attached is a bare bones example based on Atom's original file using my first 'naive' approach of simply merging the results of 2 drapes before feeding to a Vellum Solver. The result is the exploding geometry during the final solve.

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 4.34.34 PM.png

ap_basic_vellum_drape_vest_Layers.hipnc

did same...tho I don't know about wrangling so I just used a Vellum Weld, then also attached the top seams to shoulders so less likely to slip off during violent moves.

So after merge1, you've got the geos of both vests....simply treat this as the 'initial state'. Pretend some modeller has finished his part and gave you the vests and tell you to sim.

Then it's just a normal standard procedures, configure cloth, weld the precut panels...add any extra attach to geometry...sim...

drapes1.jpg

Edited by Noobini

Thanks so much guys!!

After studying Sara Rascon's THUG presentation files for the flamenco dance I was convinced that the only solution was to use a PintoAnimation technique that she used after each draping process. However could not get it to work even after hours of trying! I did however learn a TON about proper Cloth Constraint settings...my very rough understanding of Bend Stiffness for instance is .1 = starched collar, .01 regular cotton blouse or shirt and .001-.005 for silk shirt or blouse. And to enable plasticity only for certain materials like denim.

Edited by art3mis

4 hours ago, art3mis said:

my very rough understanding of Bend Stiffness for instance is .1 = starched collar, .01 regular cotton blouse or shirt and .001-.005 for silk shirt or blouse

just keep in mind that even if the solver has enough iterations to converge to set stiffness values, those values may only work on the cloth of certain resolution, if you use the same values for much denser cloth of the same size, you will get different feel from the material

overall, less dense geometry will feel stiffer and vice versa, this can also cause issues for meshes that have nonuniform mesh density as the cloth "material" will not feel consistent

1 hour ago, art3mis said:

Never understood purpose of Weld Frame delay unless used in conjunction with Inflate Collisions.

it doesn't have anything to do with Inflate Collisions

it's simply a delay how many frames into the simulation the seams will be welded, until then seams are just pulled together with the stitch constraints

so it's to allow for seams to get close enough so that the sudden snap from welding will not cause insane velocities and sudden penetrations as its more likely to happen if they snap from the beginning