Ground Crack

Hwee

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently researching your file - top notch stuff, I must admit!

Just a small question -

what the line

ch("../fusepts")
in /obj/geo1/clean1/switch1 is supposed to do? there's no such node as 'fusepts'...

Moreover, bypassing the 'clean1' node dosen't actually affect the simulation...

• 2 weeks later...

Know what? I'm just as baffled by it as you are :-D Did this so long ago. Maybe it's some scaffolding I forgot to take down. And you're right, it doesn't do much other than trimming off some really thin parts of the crack. You can replace it with a fuse SOP and it'll turn out no different. Anyway don't "research" too much into it. The main thing is to use a spring SOP to pull the crack line straight and then use that to color and pull apart the crevice.

• 4 years later...

THREAD NECRO!

I'm new to houdini 11 and am in the "look at what everyone else did to figure it out" phase. This file, while seemingly awesome from the title, breaks when opened up. If someone can tell me (or point me in the right direction) how to fix it I'd love you for life.

My starter goal was a crack running down the middle of a surface that I can control via waypoints. I figured it was sufficiently ambitious to learn Houdini with and thought this file would give me a good solid start.

Man!! This is awesome!!

I mean this is the thing What Houdini can do!!

I see many people who jus stick to use fluid and stuff without enough knowledge SOP I would say Im still learning.

But, To know this kind of tricks is really powerful and useful for any other stuff(Ideally) in Houdini right!?

Thanks Again!!

Good Stuff!!

This file, while seemingly awesome from the title, breaks when opened up. If someone can tell me (or point me in the right direction) how to fix it I'd love you for life.

In the geo object, chase the error flags up the SOP tree and it leads you right to the top File SOP. Press the file chooser in that File SOP and find the local untitled.bgeo file that contains the premodeled cracks. The string should be:

$HIP/untitled.bgeo.

My starter goal was a crack running down the middle of a surface that I can control via waypoints. I figured it was sufficiently ambitious to learn Houdini with and thought this file would give me a good solid start.

Here's some clues as to how the file works:

The left netowrk's Point SOP references the results of the right network's last SOP to color the lines as the crack grows and that transfered Cd is what controls the width of the line.

The left network uses a Spring SOP that is locked off. The Spring SOP was used to stretch the lines in to one long chain that made it easy to color the lines progressively. If you want to run the Spring SOP for yourself, first copy/paste the Spring SOP and then in the copied one, unlock the SOP from the node flag and then play forward to see the lines stretch out and lay nice and straight. Since this file was made (2008), there are a few other ways to do this now but the cleverness of using the Spring SOP in this way is very cool.

Tip: Hit the "d" key while your cursor is in the network view. In the network display options dialog that pops up, go to the Dependency tab and enable "Show Local Dependency Links" and you will see the dependency between the left chain's point4 Point SOP and the right chain's final merge1 Merge SOP. That dependency is made with the Color diffr parameter point() expression.

Thanks for the reply. For future learners: I figured out the "other" problem where houdini was complaining about an invalid variable in group. It's found in the point5 node and can be deleted. To replace it, drop a group node 1 notch upstream of the point5 node and set it to points instead of primitives and select the "range" 1 to $N-1. Pop the new group into point 5 and it'll work.

I also just attached the old file with the fix.

crack.zip

Since this file was made (2008), there are a few other ways to do this now but the cleverness of using the Spring SOP in this way is very cool.

Hey Jeff:

I'm curious about what other clever ways there are to do what his happening in the Spring SOP now in H11.

For future learners: I figured out the "other" problem where houdini was complaining about an invalid variable in group.

Thanks for the fix!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Since this file was made (2008), there are a few other ways to do this now but the cleverness of using the Spring SOP in this way is very cool.

Thanks a lot.

I am more interested in the other ways to achieve the same effect like spring. Can you give me some clues or metheds?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hey thats great stuff! really what i have been looking for. I was just wondering how the bgeo file was created? it seems as though it was an L-system but i am not too sure for definate. Would be great if anyone could help out.

Thanks