Scatter on geometry only on Y-Axis

sant0s81

Hello,

I am building a simple cave system.

The cave itself is a spline -> copy a circle to points -> skin it ->  and finaly bool the tunnel into a cube.

Now I would like to scatter points on the cave ceilling, to have anchor poitns for cables and lamps.
I attached an image to show what I mean.

I though, I could maybe use the exsiting spline and the upvector to somehow alow the points to scatter only on the ceilling - but I have totaly no idea how to do that.
Also about the cables - is there a tutorial, that shows something similar?
Like generating a spline between the points and give it gravity to let it hang down between the anchor points.

And another question is, if there is some way to erode the tunnel.
I guess, with HF Project I cannot modify the tunnels inside the box - is there another way to kinda fake erode?

Thx alot! :)

edit: I wanna create something like that: https://blog.csiro.au/kids-raid-caves-in-virtual-classroom/
So the points on the cave ceilling also could be used to create stalactites or on the floor a way system etc.

cave.jpg

Edited by sant0s81

Hey,

thx for replyling!

One thing I forgot to mention - I wanna keep it procedural since I have to modify the curve / tunnel.
So it would be great, to not always group the geometry like in ur example @vicvvsh.

i thougth, I could for example just use the exsisting spline and transform it in the y-axis only until I am near the closest points of the tunnel.

Than use that spline (points of the spline), to generate a weight map on the tunnel geometry, that I can expand by distance to points, add a fractal to get more variation etc.

In Softimage I would just use the curve, move it up in the upvector, shrink wrap it to the geometry and than generate a weight map by distance to the spline points.

Thats what I try more or less in Houdini atm.

Thx again :)

Cheers

Edited by sant0s81

9 hours ago, sant0s81 said:

One thing I forgot to mention - I wanna keep it procedural since I have to modify the curve / tunnel.

So it would be great, to not always group the geometry like in ur example @vicvvsh.

I wouldn't say that it not procedural because all groups created procedurally ... but it's up to you

Another example without a single group

P.S. there is one group actually )

scatter_on_top_02.hipnc

Edited by vicvvsh

Good morning,

thx u guys alot for these examples - lots of great input and super usefull.

I am gonna study them now.

In your example @vicvvsh I just added a fuse node to evenly snap and delete the points and already have the lamp setup - thx alot. :)

Cheers