i made a jigsaw puzzle (the hard way) years ago and made a few bob selling on the squid. i just thought it would be nice to make a puzzle generator, the logic being all you need is a curve that fits to itself, repeat it, cut the shape out of a grid, presto, jigsaws of any size (greater than 3 x 3 bits).

great, but boolean doesn't work as neatly as cookie cutter used to, and i'm scratching my head over cutting out the pieces, getting rid of remainders, etc etc. it SHOULD be simple, but i'm stuck, i have a small brain. here is my file:

anyone want to VEX a better solution than my sledgehammering?

make_jigsaw.101.hipnc

56 minutes ago, kleer001 said:

Check out these: https://n-e-r-v-o-u-s.com/shop/line.php?code=12

Maybe consider a generative, random seed, based method. Noise maybe?

Use fluids to advect (then refine) curves?

doing something random would be nice and easy, what i'm after is just your basic jigsaw:

in my model there is one corner piece that rotates to make the other three corners, an upright and a horizontal for the "pieces" and two kinds of edge piece, a "concave" and a "convex", it should be easy if cookie cutter was around, just make a slice upright or horizontal, but booleans make it complicated.

jigsaw_001.png

jigsaw_003.png

42 minutes ago, Atom said:

tried these, but see the other reply, i'm trying to make conventional jigsaw puzzle pieces, if you can wangle voronoi, then great, but i don't see how, myself....thanks for the replies though guys.

6 hours ago, harry_nicholas said:

doing something random would be nice and easy, what i'm after is just your basic jigsaw:

in my model there is one corner piece that rotates to make the other three corners, an upright and a horizontal for the "pieces" and two kinds of edge piece, a "concave" and a "convex", it should be easy if cookie cutter was around, just make a slice upright or horizontal, but booleans make it complicated.

jigsaw_001.png

jigsaw_003.png

this setup is avail in HDA...just search for jigsaw puzzle

• 2 years later...