Houdini 4D

Follyx

that is great video. I used C4D for 10 years, yes there are things one can do much quicker in C4D BUT and this is a huge BUT it is not procedural. in C4D you have to make strategically placed saves or shorten the auto save time. if you save your project, exit C4D, come back and see you need to make changes to your project and after your last save you are screwed, there are no undo's to rely on you'll have to go to your latest save redo the project from that point on. with the strength of procedural modeling you just go to that node, make your change and move on PLUS you get to keep all your hair. I made the move to Houdini 2 years ago and haven't looked back. 

oh - isn't the 4th Dimension (4D) - time? 

and the 5th Dimension is a popular music group from the 60's :P

Edited by bobc4d

21 hours ago, bobc4d said:

I used C4D for 10 years, yes there are things one can do much quicker in C4D BUT and this is a huge BUT it is not procedural. in C4D you have to make strategically placed saves or shorten the auto save time.

I think proceduralism can be overrated depending on someone's day-to-day workflow. Maya isn't procedural either but it is used constantly on major productions. I think for some people, the procedural nature of Houdini can be a life saver and absolute must-have; but for many it's not nearly as critical of a factor.

For me, my biggest gripe (and why ultimately I gave C4D the finger), is the particles system firmly stuck in 2004, and absolutely no built-in fluids/FX. For the price that they ask for for Studio, it's insane that they expect people to fork out another chunk of serious dough for X-Particles and whatever Turbulence FD and Realflow go for nowadays.

• Like 1

also they haven't touched UV's in a very long time and not to mention the yearly MSA, now $750 for studio, $265 for Prime and heavy penalty you pay if you miss one year of paying MSA. those are what did me in for C4D.  I don't mean for this to turn into C4D bashing. it is a really good program and has some great strengths.

Big studios use Maya AND Houdini.
For freelancer (For me at least) C4D and houdini is a perfect duo (Far from autodesk :lol:).
I don't expect from Maxon, any serious evolutions in the FX area and thanks to the Indie pricing, using the two is possible.

And no, except for C4d, time is not the 4th dimension :P

But if I'm not mistaken, it's called polluting a discussion. sorry for that

Edited by flcc