Timeline markers?

If I understand correctly what you're asking... Placing arbitrary non-parameter-based-keyframe markers on the timeline is not currently possible from default Houdini at the moment.

If you want a work-around then create a null, call it "Marker" and place keyframes where you want to mark them. Then, when you select that node those markers are visible.

If you want a non-parameter-based-keyframe marker your best bet is to create a detailed RFE over at https://www.sidefx.com/bugs/submit/ and then wait to see if the DEV Gods find your suggestion well formed.

If you want to get into the weeds and do it yourself here's the playbar park of the SDK: https://www.sidefx.com/docs/hdk/class_h_o_m__playbar.html#ab7b9337b20b1188221ff1761e1058949

There's also the Network boxes and stickie notes: https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/network/organize.html

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This was one of the first things I looked for when animating in Hou, I came from FCPX where I would throw down markers willy-nilly as sort of like "TODO" markers or just points of interest when showing a clip.  I think a good halfway point between selecting and keyframing a NULL and a whole new built-in feature is to write a Python snippet that sets a keyframe on your null whether or not it is selected and then bind that Python snippet to a hotkey.

The advantage of a different kind of element from a keyframe, is that there are shortcuts allowing you to navigate only on markers.
You can jump from marker to marker while there are tons of keys in between.
is it possible to emulate with the null trick ?

Yes, if you only put a single set of keyframes on the NULL.

When you select the NULL, keyframes from other objects are no longer displayed in the timeline, but the NULL keyframes will be displayed instead. You can use CTRL-RIGHT/LEFT arrow to jump to them.

It does introduce the selection dance to your workflow, but is an existing way to emulate that feature.

I personally don't miss timeline markers at all.

Edited by Atom

• 1 year later...

I tried opening an animation editor and pin it on a separate window. 
This way, I can refer to the animation keyframes that I've manually recorded - whether a NULL or other key nodes that have important keyframes.

Hope this helps!

AfterFX_wTXgNL4Mxe.png

Edited by nijhun