Pro tips for flip meshing?

rafaelmoco

Hey guys, I have a little question regarding flip meshing. I'm trying to do some studies using the Particle Fluid Surface node for my final mesh, but I'm feeling something is a little bit off in my results

Dunno if it's just the lack of refraction and shading, but my mesh seems a little blobby. I already tried to play with Voxel Scale, Influence Scale, and Droplet Scale, but in the end, it still a little blobby to me

My flip sim is ok, good resolution, billions of particles and stuff. Any pro tips?

PS: I've already tried the filtering options, masking, etc

My mesh

Same sim, but only points

I think is also because of the details. I assume this is a small scale thing, right? If so, you should use surface tension, right now it looks like a large scale one with lack of splashing detail, if you want more detail at large scale try to use the "swirly kernel" on the solver, this will preserve even more the momentum of the sim but will smooth a bit the violence and chaos behavior in comparison with the "splashing kernel", but will give you much better splashing details.

Then on the skinning stage, you can try an old school method: with a VDB pipeline use: Dilate - Smooth - Erode. 

Cheers!

Alejandro

Edited by Pazuzu
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pazuzu said:

I think is also because of the details. I assume this is a small scale thing, right? If so, you should use surface tension, right now it looks like a large scale one with lack of splashing detail, if you want more detail at large scale try to use the "swirly kernel" on the solver, this will preserve even more the momentum of the sim but will smooth a bit the violence and chaos behavior in comparison with the "splashing kernel", but will give you much better splashing details.

Then on the skinning stage, you can try an old school method: with a VDB pipeline use: Dilate - Smooth - Erode. 

Cheers!

Alejandro

Yeah, that half-sphere have 1.3 units on all sides, so it's considerably small. I've put some surface tension there, but just a little, maybe I can try to put some more and do some tests. and yeah, I totally forgot about Swirly Kernel, I will try it too!

One way to make better use of the particles that you already have, is to increase the Surface Oversampling of the reseeding. It defaults to 1.5, but I typically raise it up to 5-9, or even higher (24-36). This will spread out the particles, that are contained within each voxel.

From the look I see in your video, you do have the Influence and Drop scale set very close to one another. Try widening the gab between those two values.

Edited by Atom

23 hours ago, zjie said:

Anyone knows what does surface tension does actually? I tried reading the doc but couldn't get it.

What it does is simulating the forces of attraction that are between molecules of water. This is particularly visible in small scale/macro water simulations, where you can clearly see that the water tries to stay together. 

A great CG example is this https://vimeo.com/336861798 .

On 8/20/2019 at 10:31 PM, rafaelmoco said:

Yeah, that half-sphere have 1.3 units on all sides, so it's considerably small. I've put some surface tension there, but just a little, maybe I can try to put some more and do some tests. and yeah, I totally forgot about Swirly Kernel, I will try it too!

It doesn't look bad to me. I would listen to the advices of the guys before and maybe try to reduce and randomize the pscale of the particles that are flying by their velocity maybe or by the droplet attribute. It coul help