Tips needed: Very refractive renders

garf

with mantra, this will inevitably render long, I'm afraid. not sure what are your settings and such and how much render time are we talking. there may be ways to optimize, without inspecting the scene thou it's really hard to say anything relevant. but in general, for heavy refractions, mantra isn't a great choice.

If you're getting a lot of noise the reflection / refraction channels, switch the brdf in your shaders from ggv to Phong ( I know I hate phong too ), last I saw, it was impossible to get sharp reflections with ggx, creating a lot of noise and a lot of extra render time to clean up. We covered a lot of that here, if I can find the conversation.

Also I assume ( and hope ) you're not trying to use indirect diffuse? Maybe if you can get away with no motion blur, do that - just throwing out ideas - iirc, reflection doesn't need as much ray depth to look good as refraction does, try refl at 2?

btw what do you consider "huge" render times? Some people think that's 10 minutes.