Thin Sheet Fluid

DonRomano

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, dafa1011 said:

The effcets are awesome!

I tested the file you uploaded and followed your parameters, but I couldn't get the effect(rubbertoy)you showed.

Do you have any Solver configuration tips?

Try to add a gas surface tension and play with the amount ! Also, add the id per particle option (to be able to retime). And play with gravity/drag to get what you want ! ;)

Cheers,

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi @DonRomano Thanks for this! It's a very clever setup!

I wanted to ask if the point wrangle on the source points is needed for the thin sheet solver to work inside of DOPs? Is that point wrangle setting some attributes that get referenced inside the DOP noetwork?

int pts[] = pcfind(0, "P", @P, 1, 2);

i[]@origpair = pts;

On 12/05/2020 at 4:21 PM, Gianni333 said:

Very nice setup! How would you adjust that if you had smaller scale and a particle resolution of say 0.003 or something like that? Which parameters would you scale up or down? :)

Well, I didnt get my head into the tool for a long time, but i'll say the snap distance, a smaller distance threshold and a smaller emission threshold

On 26/05/2020 at 8:28 AM, GlennimusPrime said:

Hi @DonRomano Thanks for this! It's a very clever setup!

I wanted to ask if the point wrangle on the source points is needed for the thin sheet solver to work inside of DOPs? Is that point wrangle setting some attributes that get referenced inside the DOP noetwork?

int pts[] = pcfind(0, "P", @P, 1, 2);

i[]@origpair = pts;

Hey, it was for testing purpose but I ended up not using it because it was not optimal, and I forgot to delete it ! 

Cheers,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I did some test with higher substeps ( like 6-8) and the uncontrollable expansion seems to be resolved. Also you lower time scale.
Also, a cool trick to split the tendrils and not have long streaks is to get the volume surface from your flip, apply a bit curvate/gradient smoothing, group particles based on that and use the sheeter only on these areas.
This will prevent the filling on areas like droplets and let them detach from the main fluid.!
I know this adds more time time to the calculations but I think it's worth it !

Last but not least, using a grid-scale of 1.5(instead of 2) is a key thing to get way more details on simulations with surface tension on!

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/09/2021 at 4:40 PM, scaduxx said:

I did some test with higher substeps ( like 6-8) and the uncontrollable expansion seems to be resolved. Also you lower time scale.
Also, a cool trick to split the tendrils and not have long streaks is to get the volume surface from your flip, apply a bit curvate/gradient smoothing, group particles based on that and use the sheeter only on these areas.
This will prevent the filling on areas like droplets and let them detach from the main fluid.!
I know this adds more time time to the calculations but I think it's worth it !

Last but not least, using a grid-scale of 1.5(instead of 2) is a key thing to get way more details on simulations with surface tension on!

Might I ask what exactly you mean here, please?

"apply a bit curvate/gradient smoothing, group particles based on that and use the sheeter only on these areas."

On 10/9/2021 at 2:46 PM, vinyvince said:

Might I ask what exactly you mean here, please?

"apply a bit curvate/gradient smoothing, group particles based on that and use the sheeter only on these areas."

inside the Sheeter sop, where you get the particles from the flip solver and apply the filling process, you can do VDBfromParticles, then use VdbSmoothSDF to smooth a bit the surface, and then use a Group SOP where you group only the particles that are inside the smoothed surface, AND THEN apply the filling process only on that group. This causes the Hole Filling to be applied only on areas that are the "body" of the simulation and not the egdes.

• Like 3

On 13/10/2021 at 3:45 PM, scaduxx said:

inside the Sheeter sop, where you get the particles from the flip solver and apply the filling process, you can do VDBfromParticles, then use VdbSmoothSDF to smooth a bit the surface, and then use a Group SOP where you group only the particles that are inside the smoothed surface, AND THEN apply the filling process only on that group. This causes the Hole Filling to be applied only on areas that are the "body" of the simulation and not the egdes.

Very clever ! Thanks for your work, I'm probably going to rewrite it from scratch this year and make something better this time !

• Thanks 1

Not all of them, point rearrangement should run on all of the points.

To be honest I'm not 100% sure which sops should be applied to all particles. The fact that still some droplets get deleted is an issue, and also the fact that this solver works only on specific grid scale and particles scale is an issue. I'll try to implement something more procedural, but keep in mind that hole filling works really depending on substeps and surface tesnion