Erode / Rock tool I'm building

Wout

I like too !

adds a lot ! I'd keep it only on the darker rocks (too systematic atm, but you're aware of that, as you mentioned.)

you should render (and post!) a single hero rock (as in your previous posts) with that edge wear. On of the black ones ! :)

love the black ones !

• Like 1

Hey guys,

here's an update for the first Rock Pack that I'm building. I ran into a little bit of technical difficulties and I was fine tuning the look to get something coherent and realistic.

Here's the result so far :

Pebbles_01.thumb.jpg.d5a307c5d7f9e330f0cf328049da8768.jpg

• Like 6

Impressive details , even if i prefer your 4th march wide shot test. For this one test, could you comment about the rendering time you are getting please? Octane in Houdini i presume?

I also assume you are not only using boolean scatter in a loop by also noise vop or maybe triplanar mapping with photogrammetry pbr txr?

Octane is handling light beautifully, looking forward this thread, great work !

Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998)
Senior Env artist & Lighting & MattePainter & Creative Concepts

http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas

Hey Vinyvince,

thank you :)  I had to go back an look up that 4th of March render you mentioned, that one is more of a macro shot of sand maybe. I intend to make all kinds of different rock packs and sell them on gumroad and..

As you say, we all have our preferences, so it would be cool to build a little bit of a library, so people can choose the rocks/pebbles they like or need for the project. In this last render it's sharp pebbles or gravel. I intend to make a really smooth rock pack too with rocks that have been around for a long time so they get nice and round :)

Yes, it's rendered with Octane for Houdini, the HD render takes about 12 min I think on a single 1080 Ti.  10 different rocks,  3000 instances X+- 80K polygons per rock, so thats about 240 million polygons haha :) 

The setup currently is boolean scatter in a loop for the base meshes, then masking and deformation based on noises. All rocks use the same base texture I painted +  an edge map.

Thanks again for he kind words :)

Hello again,

I've been working hard on getting the maps baked. In this render every rock is 10K polygons with diffuse, normal, ao and bump map. I thought about displacement, but I'm not missing it here so..

I also thought about an artist friendly workflow and so all maps and uv's were made so that you only have to set up one shader.

Pebbles_01.jpg

Edited by Wout

GUMROAD_TOP_BANNER.jpg

Hey guys,

I made a rock pack with high quality pebbles. You can buy it on Gumroad : https://gumroad.com/l/CXKJP

First 25 people get 50% off ! Use the Discount Code "thisrocks"

The pack includes:

Meshes:
16 OBJ files :10K polygons each with clean uv's.
16 OBJ files: Super low poly versions of the rocks for simulating.
A plane of relaxed points to instance the rocks on.

Texture Maps:
1 Diffuse Map : 8K
1 Bump Map : 8K
Ambient Occlusion Map : 2K x 16 in combined 8K Map
Edges Map : 2K x 16 in combined 8K Map
Normal Map : 2K x 16 in combined 8K Map

All rocks have the same surface name and share the same 0-1 uv space, so you only need one material.

Suggested workflows :

For long and medium shots: Import the rocks, import the points, add an instancer.
For close ups or when you need the rocks to be laid out physically accurate: Import the sim geo rocks, do a sim, replace the objects, either on disk or by changing the path in your project file ( replacing "SIM_GEOMETRY" with "HIGH_RES")

Feel free to share or buy of course  Thank you !

Wout

Edited by Wout